Author Topic: audio message boards  (Read 2689 times)

Offline feichen.wen

• Apprentice Hero
    • View Profile
audio message boards
« on: March 30, 2014, 11:24:30 PM »
http://www.voxopop.com/

This is a website where you can create message boards that are basically in the audio format.
The builder of the board can restrict the board to a certain members, so I imagine this could be very interesting and helpful for asynchronous telecollaborations on pre-designed topics.

For example, for students learning different languages, they can record their answers on a specific question in the target language. If users just choose to play all recordings, they will hear the responses both their home group peers record and those from the telecollaboration group. It would benefit students because they not only hear what their home group peers say (content/words/fluency...) but also how the telecollaboration partners do using the second/foreign language that is their native language.

Such activity should be carefully designed, because both groups should share some interest/background, and they should be more or less at the same level of their target
language, creating a mutually dependent language learning group.

One feature I like about this board is that users can get RSS feeds, so they know if new recordings are available.

Offline ArielTheMermaid

• Apprentice Hero
    • View Profile
Re: audio message boards
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 12:26:44 PM »
Hey Feichen!

That site looks awesome. I agree that using voice recording is an essential tool for language learning, and often I feel our students either do not know about it or do not utilize it enough. Definitely bringing this into the classroom would be awesome.

Something else I have done, with graduate students. I had them record their own voices using apps on their telephone and uploading those to our class FaceBook page and myself and other students would comment on their recordings. The only issue with recording programs, you cannot account for outside noise influence--but then we have to make a big deal as teachers to make sure they record in a quiet location, with the proper equipment, etc. It can be a big issue, so it should be a large component of the class if necessary, because if it isn't, I find it may not be taken seriously, or done properly. Other than that, I think we all should start doing voice recordings in our classroom!

Offline feichen.wen

• Apprentice Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 12:17:12 AM »
Wow, you do this with grad students in the writing class?
What kind of recordings do you require them for the course?
It sounds really exciting!

Offline ArielTheMermaid

• Apprentice Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 09:32:48 AM »
The recordings I asked them to do was a part of a voice lesson where the lesson taught them how to practice pronunciation. So, to continue with what they were learning, I had them record themselves speaking for 1 minute about a topic that I gave them, and I demonstrated the topic. Then, I went into FaceBook and gave them feedback on their pronunciation after they submitted their files. It went well, they all did a good job, all carefully focusing in on the way they were speaking. Definitely awareness-raising.