Author Topic: Using QR codes in an group information-gap task  (Read 1330 times)

salinmiso

Using QR codes in an group information-gap task
« on: April 10, 2012, 02:03:39 AM »
One question I keep asking myself when I think of using QR codes in an English classroom is, "would it generate more interaction among students or students/teacher"? I'm not quite sure what the answer is yet, but I thought about ways to make using qr codes more "interactive" than using other tools in a widely-used language classroom communication task.

Using a qr code for individual clues in a group information-gap task

The purpose of giving an information-gap task to students is to "force" students to interact with each other to complete a task. Since each student in a group has a different piece of information than others, all group members have to communicate with each other to solve a problem (complete a task). However, one common problem we have in an information gap task is that some students, usually the lazy ones, "show" their side of the answers/clues instead of "verbalizing (explaining)" them in English when the teacher is not monitoring.

So, by only putting the qr codes instead of the actual pictures or the texts to describe to each other, the teacher can somehow prevent them from just exchanging the handouts. Yes, you might say that they can just show their cell phones to each other instead of exchanging the information that they find on their cell phones by talking. However, this would be a little more difficult for them especially if there are more than two people in the group because cell phones are smaller (and thus more difficult) than handouts to share with other members of the group. This still sounds a little lame though. :( Any better idea?