Author Topic: Condition 6: Learners Are Guided to Attend Mindfully to the Learning Process  (Read 6960 times)

Offline ssrun2

• Superhero Member
    • View Profile
CMC is involved in the process which requires close attention by students. So, with CMC class activities, students may have to be mindful. Since learners need some special instructions from the teacher to participate in activies, CMC finally help students improve their metacognitive strategies. The willingness to communicate with other may also motivate students to do their best to produce the language which can convey their ideas and feelings with others.

Learners especially those who are shy or quiet may be more active in CMC class because CMC condition is different from face-to-face interaction. These learners could be more confident in commuting with CMC. Those who are slow may have enough time to chech their work and make any changes if neeed before they send their messages.

Lisa

but of course you might have a learner who isn't mindful of anything and using CMC isn't going to change that
So sure CMC could help-but you can't ever force mindfulness :-\

jinongster

It's very true that, in CMC environment, learners are less face-threatened and therefore be more brave to speak. However, I don't quite understand what you mean by "The willingness to communicate with other may also motivate students to do their best to produce the language which can convey their ideas and feelings with others." I'm curious if you're saying that in CMC environment, students are more willing to communicate. If it's the case, why is it that you think so? (Just out of curiousity :D)

Offline dr7710

• Superhero Member
    • View Profile
As you mentioned here, in many cases, second languge learning and teaching needs to be focused on those shy students, because their frequent reluctance to interact with others face to face can be detrimental or sometimes lethal to their second language learning. In this respect, CMC can be a good tool for them to get more involved in interaction and Language learning. Good point! :-*

Julieta

Although I agree with this post, I would like to add that I thought Egbert et al.'s choice of words was very unhappy. The authors state that “learners must be mindful” and “they must be motivated to take the opportunities presented to them” (page 6, my highlight). As a teacher, I believe one cannot enforce motivation, but –at best – strive to promote students' interest by choosing activities that are relevant to their lives, and that engage them because of their authenticity. These days, computers are becoming an increasing part of students' lives so, in this sense, the use of CMC in the classroom could add to their interest.

Julieta

Offline Penny

• Superhero Member
    • View Profile
I am not so sure about "attend mindfullly to the learning process". So it means that CMC can help develop learning strategies? I think it can if a program is designed in a way that it practices various language skills.

Offline chau2

• Superhero Member
    • View Profile
I am sure that the CMC provides leaners with threatless environment, which can be benefitial to learners who are shy and nervours. However, I am still in the doubt if after spending a long while with computers, these learners get better off in face to face communication.   

Offline isiltan

• Superhero Member
    • View Profile
I believe when the students see they can communicate in chats and emails, they will have the willingness and courage to communicate face to face.

I also agree with Paul that especially the shy students who are reluctant & have the fair of communicating face to face with others can benefit most from CMC.

Offline baburhan

• Superhero Member
  • a.k.a Bob-urhan
    • View Profile
I am sure that the CMC provides leaners with threatless environment, which can be benefitial to learners who are shy and nervours. However, I am still in the doubt if after spending a long while with computers, these learners get better off in face to face communication.   

Actually, I am not so sure whether successful face to face communication skills can be acquired with practices on the computer. We all know that communication does not only consist of verbal elements. But also non-verbal elements have alot to do with successful communication. That's why linguistic skills and pragmatic skills are independent from eachother and informationally encapsulated (as stated by Fodor)   

Communication through CMC provide a secure environment for intrapersonal and introvert learners. However,it does not necessariliy mean that these learners will be successful in face to face communication which is sometihg completely different. As far as I am concerned CMC does not such an intention either. I presume that CMC aims to enhance linguistic skills also known as "verbal skills" :) :) :)
the mediocre teacher tells. the good teacher explains. the superior teacher strates. the GREAT teacher INSPIRES :)

Offline Pelin

• Superhero Member
    • View Profile

I strongly agree with the idea that a learner's attendance to the learning process is important. However, this attendance should be mindful and learners should be guided to attend mindfully to the process of learning. Especially CMC learning requires the students to attend mindfully as the students can study more individually and independently.

I also believe that metacognitive guidance is necessary to a certain extent especially in CMC learning just in case students may need to be taught about computers and the technology used in learning. This will help them to reason and plan their learning more consciously.
That is why; students should attend mindfully and be available in an alert mood in the classroom or in CMC learning setting.

Pelin

Offline elcin

• Superhero Member
    • View Profile
In contrary to what some of my friends argue, I have doubt if CMC is always beneficial for shy students ???  :-\  To me, a shy student may feel more embarrassed and disqualified when s/he cannot transform his/her opinions to the other side via chatting or audio conversations namely, in synchronous communication.

However, I agree that it offers more meaningful learning if the learners are guided to take advantage of opportinities. This is what Salamon (1990) calls “being mindful”  I think.