Author Topic: Language learning suggestions?  (Read 2303 times)

Offline Natalie_Mullen

• Apprentice Hero
    • View Profile
Language learning suggestions?
« on: April 20, 2007, 04:42:41 PM »
So, I've been spending more time in Second Life, practicing Spanish. I've met people, and we've chatted, and they've taken me to places were there are lots of other Spanish speakers.

The only problem I'm finding is that I'm not sure how much LEARNING I'm doing...Yes, I'm producing output, and getting authentic input (albeit of a weird variation-- chat language is SO informal and FULL of slang!). The thing is, I've not introduced myself as a person looking to practice Spanish (as the articles we've read suggested), so it's been easy enough to find people to talk to. What I'm finding is, though, it's really hard to follow all of the slang that's passed back and forth, and I feel like it kind of ruins my reputation to constantly be asking, "What does ....mean?"

In reality, this is what NNSs deal with everyday-- not understanding everything that's going on, and feeling embarrassed to ask about the things that they don't understand.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions or ideas or things that they've tried that work for them? OR, even a Spanish language classroom? ;-)

Natalie Mullen
Department of English as an International Language
University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana