Author Topic: Scavenger Hunt  (Read 8925 times)

Offline Randall Sadler

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • To CMC or not to CMC. That is the question.
    • View Profile
    • ESLweb
Scavenger Hunt
« on: February 02, 2009, 02:16:12 PM »
One of the most popular activities for new learners in a virtual world is a Scavenger Hunt.  This one was designed for use in Second Life, but would be easily modified for use elsewhere!  In the attachments you'll find:
1.  The rules for the hunt
2.  Tips for doing things in SL that are required for the hunt
3.  The Scavenger Hunt.

I find that this type of activity is a great way to begin the exploration of a VW, but it can also have clear educational implications.  It requires communication among the teams (I usually have the students work in groups of 2-3), and depending on how you structure it, you can require the teams to produce written descriptions, talk to other avatars to gain information for the hunt etc.

I'd love it if people would share their own ideas in replies. 
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 02:18:25 PM by Randall Sadler »
Randall Sadler, Administrator, The CMCforum
Assistant Professor, Linguistics
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign,  http://www.eslweb.org

Offline CapnMike

• View Profile
Re: Scavenger Hunt
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 10:42:58 AM »
I participated in this Scavenger Hunt.  It was interesting and had a lot of potential to be fun.

On the other hand, some of the students had a lot of problems not related to communication but technical ability.  In some cases, the game glitching slightly caused enormous problems:

"Ok, pick that up."
"What?"
"That thing in front of you."
"There's nothing in front of me."
"It's right there. Right there, the big pink thing."
"I'm telling you, I don't see anything!"
Turned out that something wasn't loading properly on screen.

Not saying it wasn't a worthwhile or fun, exercise; it was both, just pointing out the inherent difficulties involved with it, especially for people new to it.

Offline jiangjenny

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 10:44:02 AM »
this activity is really interesting, though sometimes I got dizzy, esp. when facing the Eiffel tower. Great exercise for the skills needed in second life, and wonderful chance to communicate with others!  :D

Offline ynumata

• Sidekick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 10:46:10 AM »
It's a good assignment that let you realize the pros and cons of working online - the kinds of benefits and difficulties experienced during this assignment can be translated to language-learning situations.

Offline pmuhati

• Sidekick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 10:48:49 AM »
It was quite interesting though I had problems with its technicalities. I think I am a bit slow in doing stuff though am sure eventually I will figure it out.Peter.

Offline chiyun

• Sidekick
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 10:50:33 AM »
[flash=200,200]I like scavenger hunt! It was a lot of fun. :D
I think if there are some levelwatch in each level (mission), then hunters can get information from them by asking (communicating) with them. In this way, hunters (especially ESL learners) can practice English!

Offline ltabb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 10:53:05 AM »
I would say that to me one of the more interesting things about the scavenger hunt was the very real feeling of 'culture shock' I experienced during the experience of trying to negotiate what I see as a different cultural environment. It was not unlike the experience of trying to negotiate being in another country for the first hours, days, etc. Many emotions accompany this experience - everything from excitement to exhaustion.

Francine

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 12:57:49 PM »
I like scavenger hunt a lot because it allows me to go online virtual shopping and get whatever I want to dress up my avatar.

However, I don't know if guys love this since they tend not to be fond of shopping. It took my group (with two of my male team members) 3 hours and half to finish shopping. I felt sorry for them because they had to wait for me while I was trying this and that, this brand and that brand. Guys must be very patient to live well in second life, I guess.

Since it was an interesting experience to me, I wondered whether we can get virtual clothing and accessories of designers' brands such as Louis Vuitton, Chanel, Gucci, Fendi,  Dior, Coach, Vivienne westwood etc. It will be much more fascinating if we can get things like that.

I'm very looking forward to it. 
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 01:01:19 PM by Francine »

Offline JewelHunt

• Sidekick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 09:26:19 PM »
Thanks to the task of Scavenger Hunt, I learn to fly, grasp, dress and undress, dance and pose like a model within a day.
It is a fun assignment and it provides a very good way to explore around and familiarize oneself with SL and other VW/CMC program. 

andy

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 07:56:39 AM »
I enjoyed the scavenger hunt and I think it worked well as an introduction to SL because it was task-based.  We were so focused on accomplishing the goals on the card that we tended to forget we were learning about how to function and interact in a new environment.

I was surprised though by the degree to which the experience could be TIRING!  I was just sitting in front of my computer after all, but the level of involvement was such that a couple of hours really felt draining.  I imagine this will change as we get more comfortable SL.

Offline Zekariya Ozsevik

• Sidekick
  • Greetings from the Turkish Delight:)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 02:49:50 PM »
Thanks for the great fun and excitement with this scavenger hunt Dr. Sadler. I enjoyed the game a lot.

First of all, it required 'teamwork': we had to communicate with each other to complete each step of the hunt. This helped us to be engaged in a cooperative learning experience in which each member supports each other. Slow learners benefit quite much from such an experience since the team has to work together and fast learners help out the troubles that the slow learners face in a non-threatening, not overwhelming atmosphere.

Second of all, it was involving: all the team member were involved in the game and did their best to figure out what they are supposed to do to accomplish the tasks at hand. This way, we could actually monitor and pace our own learning.

Third of all, the game was purposeful and meaningful to us. We had a mission to complete; thus all the steps we have taken actually led us to accomplishing the task. In such a task-based learning environment, when there is a context and when what the learners do make sense to them, the outcome turns out to be a success for each learners.

I am sure we benefited a lot from this game as ESL teachers. This is definitely something I'd do with my students to increase their motivation and to let them learn while having fun at the same time.   
Zekariya Ozsevik,
MATESL, Department of Linguistics
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, USA

Offline poiulpoiu

• Sidekick
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 04:44:08 PM »
I liked the scavenger hunt and had a lot of fun. Except I lost my hair accidentally ;) our group successfully finished our tasks. As others mentioned, technical problem may be an important issue in using SL. My computer was very slow, so I had to wait for my poor computer to get downloaded in some places.

One more thing, I found a couple was kissing on the top of the Eiffel Tower :o and was wondering how they can do that!! Just CURIOUS, you know… ;D

Offline viharckbart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 05:31:43 PM »

I thought the Scavenger Hunt was a lot of fun. The best thing about it was working in teams and having to communicate with them in order to accomplish the tasks. The only problem we had was finding the dance club...  :-\

I thought of some activities that could be done after the Scavenger Hunt. If I were working with Simple Past, for example, I would ask my students to describe the things they had to do in order to finish the hunt. They could either do it in pairs, with people who were not in the same group, or they could write about it. Asking them to take a picture of an interesting place they found on the way is another thing that could be done as a post-Scavenger Hunt activity. If the students are a little more advanced, they could discuss with people from other groups the problems they ran into while doing the activity.

Offline Mijeong

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 08:44:13 PM »
I became to enjoy the scavenger hunt as I completed five missions with my group members. Especially, I really enjoyed going around beautiful nature area called Botanical@Straylight which reminded me of visiting Botanic garden with my loving family in Chicago. After completing all missions, I flied around Botanical@Straylight with appreciating beautiful rainbow and a waterfall although I had a surprising experience when I found something inside a waterfall.  :o

Anyway, in the process of searching some objects or places of mission, all our members communicated and cooperated with each other in order to complete missions perfectly and quickly. When I confronted with Second life at first, frankly speaking, I wondered how Second life can be used in language course. I realized that using Second Life can be interesting educational tool after participating in the scavenger hunt. Although now I don't know how to construct a space, I think it will be helpful if members build up some place that all members are commonly interested, for example, a billiard hall.  ;D

« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 08:58:08 PM by Mijeong »

Offline kellychen

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 09:22:15 PM »
I like this activity; it helps me get more familiar with Second Life, at least now I know how to take a photo, how to buy clothes, and how to dance. Although it takes my team almost three hours to finish it, we feel a sense of accomplishment when we finish it. I look forward to learning more about Second Life.

Offline Shawn Fitzpatrick

• Apprentice Hero
    • View Profile
    • ESL Idea Exchange
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2009, 09:39:37 PM »
I can definitely see how this would generate meaningful interaction between learners.

However, there are a few obstacles that would need to be overcome before I'd feel comfortable implementing such a task in an actual class:

1 Our group had difficulties getting our mic's to work, so our group communicated mainly by text.  This technical difficulty would need to be addressed (if the task is intended to generate oral language).

2 A teacher may, for whatever reasons, wish to monitor students during this task (for example, to provide corrective feedback).  I think I know how you would do this if all students were communicating by text, but I don't know how you'd monitor audio.  (Is it possible to monitor a class of, say, 12 students... one group at a time?)

3 In Second Life, I feel like I am playing a video game.  This has the advantage that students' affective filter is lowered.  However, I think the danger exists that students' affective filter could get *TOO* low.  Also, I think some students (especially adults) may question whether "playing a video game" actually promotes language acquisition.  For this reason, the teacher may need to address these concerns early on to nip these beliefs in the bud.

Problems 1 and 2 are of a technical nature and can be addressed simply by helping students become familiar with the program.  However, problem 3 is trickier, since it involves (potentially) changing students' preconceptions.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 09:52:03 PM by Shawn Fitzpatrick »

Offline wowsunho

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2009, 02:06:27 AM »
Actually, I was much worried about this assignment because I'm not so comfortable in Second Life yet. However, in the process of doing the tasks, I became more familiar with the techniques and really enjoyed it. I think this kind of group task in the virtual world could make English learning occur by eliciting much communication among group members. But, for that, more emphsis should be put on the cooperatin through communication among the members than just finding out the answers.    [/b]
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 02:08:01 AM by wowsunho »

Anderson

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2009, 01:38:00 AM »
During the scavenger hunt, I could explore SL very carefully here and there, not to mention the unparalleled delight of taking a trip to the virtual Eiffel Tower in Paris, in order to finish our group task - in fact, I have not been to France yet. Anyway, whether I intended to do or not, through this task, which must have been designed to make us familiar to SL as soon as possible, I could naturally be accustomed to using a number of functions widely used in the SL, such as dancing, flying, taking a picture, buying clothes, etc.

However, while I was doing a series of mini-tasks in a group which consisted of all Koreans, I unconsciously tried to communicate with the other Korean members in Korean, not in English because it was difficult for me to stand the frequent “temporary ambiguities” due to communication breakdown happening among us. For this, I often switched from L1 to L2 back and forth to do our mini-tasks quickly. Thus, I think that there will remain some classroom management issues in the future for us to design and implement these kinds of online tasks in real classrooms. 

Furthermore, most of the problems we encountered while doing our task were not so much directly related to our realistic tasks we can face in our lives as to the technical problems and confusion associated with them, for example, what we should click on or not to do some specific functions or body movements. I think that just because of this, some critics who are against CMC, could raise a fundamental problem: to what degree we can make the languages elicited from this kind of online task close to the real languages used in everyday lives.

At any rate, I enjoyed this opportunity to be familiar to this virtual world for the first time.