Author Topic: Critical Review of Google Docs  (Read 1735 times)

Offline Ryan Boyd

• Apprentice Hero
    • View Profile
Critical Review of Google Docs
« on: May 07, 2011, 09:02:22 PM »
A critical review of Google Docs by Ryan Boyd

Offline Ryan Boyd

• Apprentice Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Critical Review of Google Docs
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 03:36:52 PM »
I was thinking that a distance writing conference using Google Docs is something that could be implemented as a practical part of EIL's Reading and Writing curriculum.

TAs in the ESL writing service courses could be asked to compile a list of students who would like extra help revising their third major paper in ESL 114, 115, 500, or 501.  Students would be selected from the list and one or two or three students (depending on how much work the instructor wants the Reading and Writing students to have and availability of ESL student volunteers) could be paired with with each student in the Reading and Writing course.

The ESL students would then be required to submit their paper to the EIL student and the EIL student would be required to make comments on the student's paper and schedule a meeting to discuss the comments via Google Docs.

I envision this to be similar to the pronunciation tutoring in EIL 488 as it would give students practical experience in teaching writing.

The step-by-step instructions in my critical review could be used to instruct students on how to use Google Docs.

Any thoughts?