Author Topic: Learners are exposed to and encouraged to produce varied and creative language  (Read 7315 times)

Offline chau2

• Superhero Member
    • View Profile
Computers join language learners from different parts of the world through its efficient tools such as email, chat: text messages or voice chat. When they are in correspondence, a lot of information is shared and they will use one unique language in order to understand each other, which, sometimes, they might have to explain some difficult words to each other to help the meaning or information clear.

With this respect, some L2 learners who always feel uneasy to interact or negotiate face to face with their teachers as well as their peers would find CMC very helpful in their learning and it would drive away all their frustration, and shyness because L2 learners might think that their physical appearance will not be recognized by their partners. Thus, they might feel free to ask their partners what they are curious about and be fearless to use words they have known and create new language patterns that they feel for without worry of making language mistakes. This opportunity is valuable for L2 learners to improve their knowledge; thus, they  will be on the road to  successful L2 learners.

Offline shanson1

• Superhero Member
  • Less Stress! More Fun!
    • View Profile
One consideration I had for this condition is that a lot of technological communication is pretty relaxed, even having it's own slang (e.g., ttyl, lol, emoticons and symbols, etc.).  Because there is such a relaxed style surrounding computer-mediated communication, students might not be using a variety of registers -- just the casual computer-style of talk.  They also need practice in more formal registers.

It's also good to practice both written and spoken English, so a variety of formats (video, audio, typing) will allow for practice of multiple skills.

Stephanie

jinongster

Yes! I do belive the CMC's functions to generate more "hypothesis testing" of the learners. I mean, since learners feel less shy in indirenct interaction as in synchronous chat or asynchronous e-mail exchanges, they will be more free to use their own interlanguage with less worries. This use of interlanguage may be right sometimes, but it can also be wrong someitmes. Through this hypethesis-testint, in which process the learner gets feedback either from the peers or from the teacher, the learner's interlanguage will be developed to a higher stage.

Offline chau2

• Superhero Member
    • View Profile
Although I mentioned some benefits that CMC provides learners with chances getting exposed creative languages, I feel reluctant to accept that these creative languages can be widely used in everyday communication and help learners to become successfull communicators.    ??? ??? ???

Offline Mete

• Superhero Member
  • I post, therefore I am.
    • View Profile
I agree with you guys in the sense that "the feeling of independence" can create an urge of freedom and creativity on the learners. As we know CMC does have an effect on the increase of production of the students who are thought to be shy in normal classroom settings (Warschauer, M. & Kern, R. 2000). As a result of this communication-apprehension-free environment the learners can produce creative language. In return, they are of course exposed to a wide range of language use.

As we know the optimal language Learning environments are interlinked. Thus, when a learner is given authentic environment, authentic audience as an outcome s/he will be directed to use more creative language and will be exposed to varied language uses.

Moreover, the help of wordprocessors and online writing tools cannot be underestimated when it comes to online writing -of course this brings in the question of sycrhonous communication vs. asynchronous- ???

Offline isiltan

• Superhero Member
    • View Profile
With CMC, while the students are trying to communicate in a more relaxed environment, they will put away their shyness, and this will create self-confidence in the use of L2.

However; due to this relaxed CMC environment, some guidance form the teacher might be necessary to encourage the use of creative language which will provide varied language use.

Offline baburhan

• Superhero Member
  • a.k.a Bob-urhan
    • View Profile
I strongly agree with the statement that exposition to target language via CMC halps the learners produce varied and creative language. This reminds me the famous quatation of Krashen. According to him ample amount of input is necessary for acquisition process.

He also adds that acquisition is achieved by "L + 1"; that is to say, learner should be exposed to inuts which could be understood and also an extra input whic cannot be understood successfully yet.

I hereby suggest that via CMC the learner will be exposed to not only known inputs but also unknown ones which could be interpereted in the future. ;D ;D
the mediocre teacher tells. the good teacher explains. the superior teacher strates. the GREAT teacher INSPIRES :)

Offline elcin

• Superhero Member
    • View Profile
It seems that we all share the idea of CMC’s presenting many creative an varied tasks for language learning. Also I agree with Spolsky (1989) in the sense that exposure to the target language is a necessity for optimal learning. Use of CMC provides the learners with a broad range of creative and variable tasks which prevents the learner from losing motivation.

As you all know, motivation is one of the key concepts in language teaching and the learning stlye of each individual differs. I assume that CMC is beneficial especially for the learners with a short concentration span. From another point of view, it appeals to a larger crowd of people including the visual, the auditory or the kinaesthetic learners. The more senses are involved in the learning process, the more feeling of participation is acquired.

Offline Ali Fuad

• Superhero Member
  • of all things i've lost, i miss my mind most..
    • View Profile
i believe that the aspect of exposition and encouragement of production of varied and creative language is directly related with the tasks that are employed in CMC environments. the more the tasks are creative, variable and thought-provoking, the more they provide the learners with a broadrange of creative and variable tasks. therefore, CMC and web based tasks are endless sources in accomplishing this objective.

Errol

I also think this is an important criterion. I think the emphasis on varied is important to accommodate different learning styles. Some students might feel most comfortable and get a lot of benefit using text-based communication such as a discussion board in their second language, while other students might benefit more from audio or video communication in their target language. The ideal situation I think is when all 3 (text, audio, and video) are possibilities the learner can use.

In my department, students are generally asked to use computers only to type in compositions or to complete Internet activities we design. These Internet activities are mostly a matter of finding out answers to questions we ask about specific factual information (e.g. who is the mascot of the mardi gras celebration in Quebec) as opposed to discoveringor discussing more freely about L2 culture. While we do try to make the tasks as authentic as possible for Internet activities, it still does not meet the standard of allowing varied and creative language in most cases. It would be better if we had students use discussion boards or emails to communicate in the L2 so they had a variety of possibilities to creatively use the L2 instead of just completing an essentially non-communicative assignment.

PS I apologize for posting on an old topic, I am catching up on assignments I missed the first few weeks before I was enrolled.   

Offline banu

• Superhero Member
  • When I was in İstanbul...
    • View Profile
Hi everyone,

One of the benefits of the CMC units is they allow L2 learners to access the TL and TL culture in an authentic atmosphere and the learners have chance to interact with NNs or NS of the TL in the virtual environment. During their interaction, which is fantastic as well as stressful, they come across several usages of language and they use the language they learn. In that situation, they have the chance of accessing "positive and negative feedback" coming from their interlocutors on the Net at the same time. Here, I believe that learning a language in a CMC environment, allows learners to see language is not limited to what they have learnt but it is changing and reflects the society it belongs to....

P.S. I am also a late-poster due to missing one lesson.I am sorry for this delay..