Author Topic: Learners have opportunities to interact and negotiate meaning  (Read 7141 times)

Offline dr7710

• Superhero Member
    • View Profile
Learners have opportunities to interact and negotiate meaning
« on: January 30, 2006, 10:08:29 AM »
With the development of "high speed Internet", "online class', "chatting", "web camera", and "email" technology, etc, we can get more opportunities to interact with others almost anytime and anywhere in the target language, if some technological requirements are equipped and we agree to some regulations or policies with others. Nowdays, the communication can be almost face to face, and the contents of the communication can be more various, authentic and realistic, depending on the students who are being involved.Those technologies became more involved in and a bigger part of our lives. Learners can concentrate on the interaction and negotiation of meaning more intensively especially in dyads, whereas in the traditional ESL classroom, we can hardly find our chances to talk and negotiate with others, because we have to pay attention to the other groups or members or even teachers in the noisy or distracted classroom. What is better is that their negotiation of meaning can be more concise and accurate, thanks to the availability of lots of dictionaries or encyclopedia through Internet almost synchronously.

Lisa

Re: Learners have opportunities to interact and negotiate meaning
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 10:20:53 AM »
Yes
but of course simultaneous CMC is MUCH better for negotiating

Offline Penny

• Superhero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 10:22:29 AM »
I think what we are doing now in this class is an example of meaning negotiation. I might not get so much informatin and various opinions from my classmates in such details compared to a tradional class. Besides, it is there permanately ( is it? )and I can come back to our discussion anytime I want.

Offline jyesun

• Superhero Member
  • I miss spring so much!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 10:30:20 AM »

I agree with your idea that, if high speed internet can be available in classroom setting, it would be really good for languag learners, esp. for EFL studetns in terms of getting more chances of interacting with others through target language. However, I'm a little concerned of using online dictionaries and encyclopedia. Students might be too much dependent on using them, it might rather inhibit negotiation of meaning from happening naturally in the middle of the conversation. (Students might suddenly stop the conversation and go and find some words in the dictionary and it could bring the breakdown of the conversation.) Therefore, teachers might give students some guideline of how to interact more effectively.

Offline chau2

• Superhero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 10:32:14 AM »
Chatting through text messages or voice chat, and response emails from their on-line friends provide learners chances to interact and negotiate for meaning, which is the most helpful opportunities to learners to improve their language skill. Yet, It would be made sure that the learners use this opportunity for learning purposes not for others. Thus, learners need to be well-informed and understand the merit of the CMC.

Sams

Lisa

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 10:34:23 AM »
So then maybe only simultaneous video chatting is best
that way students won't go check dictionaries and break down conversation.
plus I am worried about these shy students
if they become "brave" by interaction through typing.....are they really becoming brave?
won't they still freak out when they have to actually speak to someone?
so I think they better use video chatting to give them the best practice from CMC

Offline isiltan

• Superhero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2006, 07:53:12 AM »
Students used to have pen friends from all over the world to interact and negotiate meaning, which took them months to get a reply. Now with the development of the internet, they have the opportunity to chat and video-chat which provide almost a face to face communication and I believe that is more motivating for students to interact and negotiate meaning.

Offline Mete

• Superhero Member
  • I post, therefore I am.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2006, 08:00:26 AM »
Of course, interaction is one of the key concepts of language learning, and with its being time and place independent in CMC, it has a bigger application area in CMC. First of all, with CMC the concept of interaction gets a bigger range, anyone from the whole world. Secondly, either synchronously or asynchronously, the students can interact or negotiate meaning from any place they want and at any time of the day. Moreover, in asyncrhonous communication, the learners can have the time they need to think over about some aspects of the topics they were discussing, and can reply later on. And, laslty, like it has been mentioned before, the shy users can also find a less threatening setting where they can voice their opinions.

Offline Pelin

• Superhero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2006, 04:52:39 PM »

If the issue is about language learning, communication and interaction are indispensable and keys for successful learning. In a CMC setting, everything is easier for the learners to interact. Thanks to webcams and audio-conversations, the scene of communication feels like a real and face-to face interaction. That shows us how valuable a CMC setting for language learning is. It can provide the learners with an interaction with authentic audience in the target language so that they can negotiate the meaning. Furthermore, teachers should lead and inform the students about these opportunities if it is necessary.

I agree with Isil in that the pen-friend period has changed into an online friendship as the technology has developed and has become much quicker. As Mete also stated, our forum is a perfect example for negotiation of meaning purposefully between the continents.  :o ;)

Learners should use the opportunities of CMC in language learning in one way or another. No way out... ::)

Pelin

Offline hatime

• Superhero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2006, 04:58:13 PM »
Through CMC, I think it would be more motivating. As Isıl has already stated, the learners will get rid of all the dependence on the paper. They will have the opportunity to interact with the speakers of the target language all over the world instead of waiting for meeting a native speaker on the road or during holidays... ;D
Hatime