Author Topic: Using Email in ESL Classroom to Teach Format & Language  (Read 2175 times)

Offline helstro2

• Sidekick
    • View Profile
Using Email in ESL Classroom to Teach Format & Language
« on: March 20, 2014, 03:31:04 PM »
Email can be used for a variety of purposes in a variety of ways, but I especially like the idea of using the medium of email to teach email format.  It's a realistic environment for learning how to structure emails, for both Student to Teacher and Student to Student.

Additionally, while students are writing emails to either each other or the teacher to practice email formats, they are also practicing a significant amount of language, which is the goal within ESL classrooms.

A bonus element of using the medium of email to teach various aspects of writing is that the students must login to their email in order to participate.  This is particularly helpful if your student population needs consistent encouragement to check their email for program or course notifications.

Offline feichen.wen

• Apprentice Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Using Email in ESL Classroom to Teach Format & Language
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 11:33:17 PM »
I agree the medium indeed makes the context really authentic!
I was thinking maybe finding long-term e-pals would do the trick
for both creating an authentic context and sustaining language
learning in the long run.

However, I wonder how the process can be monitored in some way,
as under aged students might face risks of inappropriate discussions/
languages that teachers and parents or even students themselves want
to avoid!

Offline ArielTheMermaid

• Apprentice Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Using Email in ESL Classroom to Teach Format & Language
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 09:11:56 AM »
I also agree with this--in fact I think emails need to be paid even MORE attention to. I think it would be nice to have students from different cultures in the class present to the class how THEIR culture writes emails, then make some comparisons to the U.S. email style. I think it would be a good cultural awareness-raising lesson and it would let other students know how to write emails in many other cultures (granted how many are in the classroom, may have to assign some cultures to students). But oftentimes, we are thrown into a new place and do not know the cultural appropriateness of many things, including email-writing. I think it could be fun and also extremely beneficial for once they leave the classroom.