Author Topic: A Robot Wrote A Chapter To A Harry Potter Book  (Read 285 times)

Offline danieleil445

• Fluffy Poster
  • Karma Points! 2
  • The Force is strong with this one
    • View Profile
A Robot Wrote A Chapter To A Harry Potter Book
« on: February 08, 2018, 03:05:32 PM »
The Force is strong with this one

Offline saera

• Buckbeak Poster
  • Karma Points! 0
    • View Profile
Re: A Robot Wrote A Chapter To A Harry Potter Book
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 12:33:23 AM »
I love this! It's ridiculous but as the video says, the excerpt was written semi-intelligently by a computer. And I find it incredible that this random chapter still sounded like it could be a legitimate part of the Harry Potter series. It sounds like J.K. Rowling's writing style. This could be a great (and incredibly humorous) way to introduce and/or begin a discussion about voice in writing!

...Which reminds me of a story I stumbled upon on Fanfiction.net awhile back that has now been moved to Archive of Our Own. A fan decided to rewrite Harry Potter with one small but significant change: Harry is sorted into Slytherin, not Gryffindor. The story series is called Green-Eyed Snake. You can read the story yourself to see how it all plays out, but the fan author seems to be working on rewriting all the books (without a distinct end goal, just chugging along forward--they're currently working on the fourth Harry Potter book, originally Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, now renamed Harry Potter and the Death Mark). One of the most amazing parts to me is that besides using excerpts of the original Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling (with all due credit and proper acknowledgment!), this fan author quite seamlessly integrates these excerpts by mimicking the writing style, the unique and quirky voice that appears consistently throughout the series. This consistency is what enabled the computer to pick up on the patterns within the voice, but more importantly, voice (still most effectively created by a human, in my opinion) sets an overall tone for a writing piece within which plot tension and emotions and such can move.

See more about how to introduce your class to fanfiction and online writing communities in this post!