Author Topic: Proofreading & Revision  (Read 1019 times)

Offline elamb6

• Buckbeak Poster
  • Karma Points! 1
    • View Profile
Proofreading & Revision
« on: March 31, 2014, 10:56:39 PM »
A 50 minute lesson plan on Proofreading and Revision, including Warm-up discussion questions and a handout on proofreading guidelines.  [Created for an advanced ESL writing course at the college entry level]
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 11:00:48 PM by elamb6 »

Offline yelenafk

• Norbert Poster
  • Karma Points! 2
    • View Profile
Re: Proofreading & Revision
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 09:44:06 PM »
It's good to see a distinction being made between these two things. I'm impressed that you were able to incorporate both in one lesson. Very often, we focus on one and neglect the other. I personally prefer proofreading to revision. The problem with doing only proofreading, though, is that if you end up having to revise, you have to proofread all over again because the basic text has changed so much.

It seems to me that the service courses are mostly concerned with revision (which is probably the right thing to focus on). The Writers Workshop also does more with revision. So what should students do for proofreading? It comes easier to some people than others. Having another person read your work is, of course, very helpful. But if you're trying to proofread your own work, it's more difficult. What about hiring a proofreader? I think native speakers do that as well, and it could be beneficial. On the other hand, I don't want to encourage people to pay someone else to do something that they could easily do on their own, so I would urge my own students to try proofreading on their own or with a friend first.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 09:44:45 PM by yelenafk »