Author Topic: Using the game Taboo for vocabulary practice (synonyms and descriptions)  (Read 142 times)

Offline jrchia2

• Buckbeak Poster
  • Karma Points! 0
    • View Profile
Sometimes reading and memorizing vocabulary lists can get pretty dry and boring. Fluentu.com has a blog post with some cool ideas on how to motivate and engage ESL students when learning vocabulary. One idea is to use the game Taboo. Below I have included the description, after which I explain the modifications and additions I would make to this activity:

[/size]4. Taboo Words[/color]

[/size]Taboo Words helps students practice with synonyms and descriptions. Separate the class in half and have the two teams sit on opposite sides of the room, facing each other. Each team will choose a person to sit in front of their team, facing them in the ďhot seat.Ē You will stand behind the students and hold up a piece of paper with a word on it. The students in the hot seats will not be able to see these papers. Teams have three minutes (or any amount of time you want to set) to get their hot seat member to say the word on the paper. The catch is, they canít say the word under any circumstances. Tips for playing in a large class. If you have more than 12 students in a class, things can get a little chaotic with this game. In this case, itís usually simpler to divide everyone into teams of 5-6 people and have only one team go at a time.
While I think that is a good idea, it will be more efficient if this activity is done AFTER students have had time to learn a specific vocabulary list. It's too broad to use this game for a vocabulary list that includes words some students might not have learned.

I would create a vocabulary list that includes synonyms and descriptions, have students learn that first. After that the Taboo Words game could be done as a way to review and evaluate student uptake.

Source: https://www.fluentu.com/blog/educator-english/esl-tefl-ell-vocabulary-games/
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 04:03:14 PM by jrchia2 »