Author Topic: Learning through Seeing and Listening  (Read 157 times)

Offline pskim4

• Buckbeak Poster
  • Karma Points! 0
    • View Profile
Learning through Seeing and Listening
« on: May 13, 2018, 02:46:42 PM »
      Who doesn't like watching TV??

No matter where you are in the world and how old you are, there is a pretty high chance that you watch TV. This is not only entertainment—it can also be a good motivational tool for learning English. Not only would visuals aid in the classroom learning process but for more cultural cues and in growing the confidence of an individual through familiarity as well.

Using a show like Modern Family for the older audience would not only be educational but entertaining. This show is funny, easy to watch, and shows several examples of American family types. This combination will make learning that much easier. Individuals watching the show can get used to hearing the English language in a low-stress context as well as learn cultural cues. With these benefits and the comfortable nature of a fun TV show, individuals can feel more confident in learning and in turn, learn more in that short amount of time.
Even a few episodes a week of any show that allows a look into an American life would be a great tool in teaching English.

This is personally one of the ways I learned a few extra English phrases when I was new to America as a child. As I watched cartoons like Pokemon and Digimon, I would relate things I learned from the show with things I learned at elementary school. Sometimes my mom also watched with me and we practiced the vocabulary or phrases we learned with each other since she was learning English at the time as well.