Author Topic: Get to know me in 5 sentences  (Read 36 times)

Offline JasonOu

• Hero Sidekick Poster
  • Karma Points! 4
    • View Profile
Get to know me in 5 sentences
« on: March 14, 2017, 05:58:45 PM »
In the beginning of the first class, teachers can ask students to answer the following 5 questions in 5 separate sentences. In order to make the activity more interesting, students cannot give direct answers to the questions. What they can do, however, is to give a hint or hide the answers in the sentences they are going to write. For example, if I were to answer the question, "What is your name?". Instead of saying Jason, I could write a sentence I got into trouble because Jack ate some of the noodles on the table. (hint: Take out the first letter of all the words in the independent clause and see if you could find my name). This might be a bit too advanced for intermediate level learners, so it would be better to try it out in advanced class.

The 5 questions:

1. What is your name?
2. What is your favorite color?
3. What is your favorite food?
4. What kind of movie do you like?
5. What is your dream job?

If you would like to lower the difficulty level of the activity, you can ask students to write a short story including all the answers to the questions. This can save time and better fit intermediate level learners.

Note: I have not yet tried out this idea, but surely I will give it a shot in the future.

Another icebreaker that I like is "Never have I ever". Details can be seen here: http://www.icebreakers.ws/get-to-know-you/never-have-i-ever.html
Basically the idea of this activity is to get students know more about things that other people have not yet done in the past. An little twist to this activity is to ask students to come up with two questions using the phrase "never have I ever" before letting them do the activity. Also, teachers can bring two types of colored paper: green and red. Green means that students have done that, and red means the other way. Before students begin the activity, teachers can give each students two pieces of paper: a green one and a red one. When students are doing the activity, they need to raise the green paper if they have done something that a person is asking or raise the red one if they have not.

Other than being an icebreaker, "Never have I ever" can be used as a warm-up activity for a lesson that is focused on hyperbaton. It can also be a good use of practice for students after they learn hyperbaton.