Author Topic: Semantic Mapping  (Read 9485 times)

kellychen

Semantic Mapping
« on: April 30, 2009, 10:33:41 AM »
During pre-reading activities, it is important to activate studnets' prior knowledge. To achieve this goal, the teacher can use such activities as brainstorming, semantic mapping, classroom discussion, pre-questions, and visual aids. As for semantic mapping, it is a strategy that can be used to demonstrate the relationships between ideas. When teaching vocabulary explicitly, it can be used as a tool for students to discover the relationships between vocabulary words. As semantic mapping builds on prior knowledge, and is an active form of learning, it can be a very effective teaching tool.

In semantic mapping, students still use brainstorming strategies. However, ideas are organized by the teacher. As students offer their ideas about a topic, the teacher writes these ideas on the board. In brainstorming, all ideas are written on the board. In semantic mapping, ideas are organized on the board underheadings. The diagram makes qualities and relationships between ideas evident. During active reading, students may also use semantic maps. As they read, they include new information on their maps. During postreading, students can use their maps as a review of information gained.

Take teaching the vocabulary "oyster" for example. Put the word ?oyster? in a circle in the middle of the board. Ask students to brainstorm and think of the ideas that come to their head when they think of the word ?oyster.? Students may come up with words such as pearl, shell, ocean, sand, eat, stew, slimy, hard, gray, etc. Write these words on the board, and then show students how to categorize them. Branching off from the original circle, write the main categories surrounding the word. You may want to put a square around them. Categories for oyster could be habitat, food source, and physical characteristics. So, you will have the words habitat, food source and physical characteristics in little boxes surrounding the circled word, oyster. Then you will list the words associated with each main category. For example, under the square that has the words ?Physical Characteristics? in it, you will list shell, gray, hard, slimy, makes pearls. For ?Habitat,? you would list the words ocean, sand and so on. Complete this process for each category.

You can see http://www.essortment.com/all/teachersusesem_tvej.htm for further information.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 10:34:14 AM by kellychen »

Offline johng

• Superhero Poster
  • Karma Points! 15
    • View Profile
Re: Semantic Mapping
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 08:23:15 PM »
I used bubbl.us for mapping activities with texts, but I think it would work well for this kind of activity and could be done at the front of class, or students could submit their own later.

Offline mkim117

• Hero with Powers Poster
  • Karma Points! 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 07:28:34 PM »

I've used this semantic mapping or brainstorming in the prewriting activity. Before beginning writing a first draft, I recommend students to use this semantic mapping for idea generation. It gives students the chance to think about the topic broadly,  then by categorizing ideas, students begin to organize in their mind which way they should develop the topic.

Attached is the sample of semantic mapping.
https://umdrive.memphis.edu/lmcgllvr/public/RDNG%204240/SemanticMapping.pdf
Miyoung Kim

Offline LamarW

• Newbie Poster
  • Karma Points! 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 01:16:16 AM »
I used bubbl.us for mapping activities with texts, but I think it would work well for this kind of activity and could be done at the front of class, or students could submit their own later.

What a great resource. I've been looking for a mind map maker like this for ages.