Author Topic: Learning Spanish Writing in the US  (Read 820 times)

Offline Rschroeder101

• Definitely not Rob
  • Fluffy Poster
  • Karma Points! 2
  • I'm not giving my name to a machine!
    • View Profile
Learning Spanish Writing in the US
« on: May 10, 2021, 05:30:22 PM »
I practice writing frequently with my Spanish teacher. These exercises usually include me writing a short, 1-2 page essay and my teacher going through the essay and correcting grammatical mistakes. Very rarely does my teacher feel the need to correct my organization or writing style, and when asked about it he tells me that I am already very organized to begin with. So, most of the writing practice that I have in Spanish is based around grammar correction and modification, with improperly used grammatical forms crossed out in red and then an explanation for why it is wrong given to me verbally. Sometimes this can get frustrating, as the corrections can be quite extensive on bad days, and seeing an ocean of red in my essay is disheartening. I have taken a college-level Spanish class here at U of I as well, and also receive fairly little feedback on organization and focus and more on grammar forms and vocabulary use. While this practice is great for improving my grammar, this means I have very little experience learning a language with a completely different organizational and rhetorical style, like Korean or Japanese.