Author Topic: Citation Exercise--should these be cited?  (Read 2830 times)

Offline Randall Sadler

• The boss of the Forum!
  • Administrator
  • Dumbledore Poster!
  • Karma Points! 164
  • Yes, well done. Well done.
    • View Profile
    • ESLWeb.org:  http://www.eslweb.org
Citation Exercise--should these be cited?
« on: September 30, 2005, 10:20:09 AM »
A short exercise on citation a list of useful verbs for citation

The point of the attached exercise is for the students to determine if the information in each statement falls under the realm of "general knowledge," and hence does not need to be cited, or if it is specific enough to require citation.  As students (and teachers) often discover, this is sometimes tricker than you might think.  After all, the idea of general knowledge somewhat depends on the perspectives of both the writer and readers.  For example, what may be considered general knowledge for someone writing an article for a History journal--this person already having a PhD in History and a record of publications--would likely be much broader than for a student taking a BA level history class.  Therefore, that BA level student would need to cite a lot more than the professor. 

When I go over the answers to this exercise with my students, I tend to have a lot of "maybe" answers--from me!  And I explain that it would depend on the circumstance and discuss why.

HOWEVER, as I tell my students, best to err on the side of caution.  When in doubt, cite it out!!!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 11:56:14 AM by Randall Sadler »
Randall Sadler, Site Owner
Asst. Prof, Linguistics, U. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign  www.eslweb.org