Author Topic: Ideas for using the could’ve, should’ve, would’ve slideshow in class  (Read 4694 times)

Offline elaineli

• Dumbledore Poster!
  • Karma Points! 13
    • View Profile
This afternoon, I was writing my reflection paper about a  recent presentation. When I wanted to describe something I missed or something  I did wrong, I got confused about the use of "should've" or  "could've" or "would've". So I did some research on the Internet  and, accidentally, I found this wonderful lesson plan:

Ideas for using the could’ve, should’ve, would’ve slideshow  in class

Idea 1: Dictation
Dictate the book titles to your learners and then allow them  to correct what they have written by showing them the slideshow.
• All the ways we could have met
• I could have danced all night
• It could have been worse
• How Hitler could have won World War II
• 10 things my mother should have told me
• The man I should have married
• The manual that should have come with your body
• Wrong: The biggest mistakes and miscalculations ever made  by people who should have known better
• Rembrandt would have loved you
• I would have loved him if I had not killed him
• The Christian president: What Jesus would have done 
• Things you would have learned if you’d listened 

Idea 2: Guess about the book
Give out the list of book titles but don’t let your students  see the covers at this stage. For each one they should guess:
•What genre the book belongs to (fiction, non-fiction,  romance novel, self-help, etc)
•What the book is about
•Who it is aimed at
Once decisions have been made, allow your students to see  the images. The covers themselves will usually give away the
information they have been looking for.

Idea 3: Consensus translations
For monolingual classes, show your students the slideshow  and get them to come to a consensus translation for each title. All 12
titles should be written down in their own language (no  English should be written at this stage). Then, in the absence of the
slideshow, your learners should attempt to translate the  titles back into English.

Idea 4: Drilling and gap fill
Use the slideshow to drill the target language. In other  words, get your students to repeat the book titles after you. Follow this up  with
the gap fill exercise on the next page. (See the attachment)

I love this lesson plan because it relates real book titles  to grammar teaching and it also provides relevant slideshows. According to the  lesson plan, students are responsible to find the grammar rules by themselves  through various activities, such as dictation, guessing, and translation.  Generally speaking, it adopts deductive grammar teaching method.
Here is the link for the lesson plan:
http://www.jamiekeddie.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/couldve-shouldve-wouldve.pdf

For those who want to teach "Could’ve, should’ve,  would’ve" in ESL/EFL class, I hope this will be helpful.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 09:51:05 AM by elaineli »