Author Topic: family tree for beginners  (Read 2619 times)

Offline Chloe

• Buckbeak Poster
  • Karma Points! 12
    • View Profile
family tree for beginners
« on: November 10, 2010, 06:30:48 PM »
here is one small teaching unit.

Teaching adult beginners by using family tree.

Offline butler-auld

• Buckbeak Poster
  • Karma Points! 0
  • Teacher of adult ESL students
    • View Profile
Re: family tree for beginners
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 11:22:27 AM »
Teaching family trees is a wonderful way to expose learners to basic family relations vocabulary! I really like incorporating student drawing or emoticons with this kind of activity too.

I am attaching a link to a few worksheets. I have made a screen shot of one of the worksheets. Depending on the relationship vocabulary you would like to teach, you could modify these worksheets to include occupation, hair color, and other identifying features. This could definitely be an entire unit. The first day of class, I would have students just put down themselves and maybe their spouse/kids (I may even add a dotted line for family pets or "kids", LOL). That would be a good lesson day to teach introductions like "My name is..." depending on their language level. Then over the course of the semester, students would learn how to identify each other and the people in their lives.

TeachThis. (2020). Family and Relationships. Retrieved February 4, 2020, from https://www.teach-this.com/general-activities-worksheets/family-relationships

« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 11:28:21 AM by butler-auld »
Hannah Butler-Auld