Author Topic: Post-Reading Activities for Human Is  (Read 2906 times)

Offline KaylaHewitt

• Norbert Poster
  • Karma Points! 13
    • View Profile
Post-Reading Activities for Human Is
« on: September 07, 2011, 05:27:46 PM »
I would use the story “Human Is” with high-intermediate adult ESL learners in the U.S. I have two potential post-reading activities:
  • Vocabulary Activity. There are many potentially unfamiliar words in the story. This activity will help students use context clues and knowledge of word parts to figure out the meanings of unknown words. Divide students into pairs and give each pair the “Human Is” Vocabulary handout (attached).
  • Writing Activity. Give students the following essay prompt. The essay could be done in class or as a homework assignment. Frank explains Lester's strange behavior by telling Jill that the Rexorians “have only a vague knowledge of human beings” (p. 47), taken mainly from old Terran literature. Similar to the Rexorians, many people today form ideas about different cultures based on movies, television, or books, both old and current. Before you came to the U.S. for the first time, did you have ideas about U.S. culture based on books, movies, or television? Describe some of these ideas. Which were correct? Which were incorrect? Do you believe other people make incorrect assumptions about your culture based on books, movies, or television? What are some of these assumptions?   

Offline mswyers

• Buckbeak Poster
  • Karma Points! 7
    • View Profile
Re: Post-Reading Activities for Human Is
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 10:24:02 AM »
Kayla, I really like your writing prompt! I was thinking of something similar for a post-reading discussion/essay assignment.

Another way to add on to this would be to ask the students to envision the "Lester 2" character if the Rexorians had access to different texts--not romance novels. Students could be divided into groups and each assigned a different text/genre (comic book, adventure novel, horror, movie, sit.com, etc.). Then they would rewrite a portion of the story (the section with Lester 2) adapting his behavior accordingly.