Author Topic: Funny grammar resource  (Read 3155 times)

Offline mswyers

• Buckbeak Poster
  • Karma Points! 7
    • View Profile
Funny grammar resource
« on: October 12, 2011, 08:46:34 PM »
I'm posting links to "The Oatmeal" website, which is an Internet comic site, but the creator happens to be a stickler for grammar.

There are illustrated explanations of many nuanced grammatical items, such as:
-"How to Use an Apostrophe" (Here)
-"How to Use a Semicolon" (Here)
-"When to use i.e. in a sentence" (Here)

Now, this site is created for native speakers, so I wouldn't rely on these comics as the ONLY resource for grammar. The references can be obscure, and the language is advanced. However, you could show it as an extra explanation if you were stumped about apostrophes, semi-colons, or i.e. vs. e.g. I do think that it is important that at the university level, students are at least aware of these issues, especially since many writing classes don't really touch on grammar at all.

(Additionally, if you are stumped as the instructor about these issues, these are good explanations!)

Offline KaylaHewitt

• Norbert Poster
  • Karma Points! 13
    • View Profile
Re: Funny grammar resource
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 04:25:26 PM »
I love this! Why do so many people think that plurals require apostrophes? When I see a sign that says something like "Hamburger's $1", I get so mad.  :angryred2 I guess I'm a bit of a grammar stickler as well.

Offline jayes2

• Buckbeak Poster
  • Karma Points! 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 12:40:43 PM »
Sorry to admit it - but I often avoid semicolons entirely because I'm not sure if I am using them correctly! This was a nice overview of 'the most feared punctuation on earth." j

Offline Freddy Freitez

• Norbert Poster
  • Karma Points! 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 12:34:32 AM »
Nice source! I have a problem with the apostrophe in one specific case. It's a pity (for me!) that thwebsite about punctuation has a lot to offer and I still keep my doubt. I have seen in some places this use of the apostrophe: St. Michael's Church, Saint Mary's Parish, Saint Patrick's school. I am confused :S   Neither the churches nor the school belongs to the Saints whose names those places hold. I wonder why they just don't name them without the  's. I get there is a rule I still don't know. Share the rule with me if you know it, please  ;)

Offline mhenehan

• Dumbledore Poster!
  • Karma Points! 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 05:15:38 PM »
I think you're right, following old rules.  I just looked at a site for St. Patrick Church in Urbana, Illinois. 

_Google_ has it as St Patrick's Church (missing the period), but the church's own site says St. Patrick Church, including "what's happening at St. Patrick," where "'at' a person" sounds funny too.  I went to St. Mary School and the elision with "school" made me think it was St. Mary's.  They use the ' now.  I think it was traditionally correct without the 's, but usage irresistibly went to the 's.  Usage will trump older rules.  Notre Dame's (notice that 's) sister school is St. Mary's College, but if the University of Notre Dame word order were different, it wouldn't be Notre Dame's University.  (cuz it's French, I guess...)
I'll ask my 88-year-old aunt who's a nun and taught grammar -- when I find time. 
Marie
Marie Henehan