Author Topic: Teaching Peer Feedback as a Communication Skill  (Read 2457 times)

Offline kristinbouton

• Buckbeak Poster
  • Karma Points! 7
    • View Profile
Teaching Peer Feedback as a Communication Skill
« on: October 13, 2011, 02:57:04 PM »
Here is a PowerPoint which explains the idea of focusing not just on the content of Peer Feedback but also on Peer Feedback as a skill that students will use in many situations in their academic life as well as in their everyday life. So you teach them how to give good feedback, and the language that they should use. You also try to broaden the concept for them so that they see Peer Feedback as something they are doing in many more situations than just the Peer Review writing activity. The PowerPoint explains the ideas and the documents could be used in class. All the documents are based on material used in the Intensive English Institute.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 03:03:01 PM by kristinbouton »

Offline KaylaHewitt

• Norbert Poster
  • Karma Points! 13
    • View Profile
Re: Teaching Peer Feedback as a Communication Skill
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 04:24:05 PM »
I really like this lesson. I think we often take for granted that students know how to give and receive peer feedback, when that is not always the case. I especially like the "My Plan for Revision" handout. That forces the students to really evaluate the comments they receive and decide how they will address them, rather than just reading through the comments and not doing anything about them.

Offline kristinbouton

• Buckbeak Poster
  • Karma Points! 7
    • View Profile
Re: Teaching Peer Feedback as a Communication Skill
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 01:57:10 PM »
I thought this article was interesting and showed the problems international students have with pragmatics when they become ITAs. For me, teaching peer feedback as a communicative skill, gets them thinking about the importance of context in our academic lives in general, especially for those who come from cultures where feedback is given much more directly - both from the teacher and peers.

Communicative Competence and the Dilemma of International Teaching Assistant Training
http://www.jstor.org/stable/3587005