Author Topic: Introducing the Literature Review  (Read 7800 times)

Offline kathvergo

• Buckbeak Poster
  • Karma Points! 5
    • View Profile
Introducing the Literature Review
« on: October 18, 2011, 02:42:52 PM »
I've noticed that my students LOVE any lesson that incorporates videos. So, for something like a literature review that is a comprehensive compilation of a bunch of different resources on a similar topic, I decided to incorporate a video of a car accident. They then would have to interview different individuals (witnesses/victims of the accident/etc.) and then synthesize all of the accounts into a single paragraph that is both unified and cohesive.

Attached is my lesson and materials.

It's even equipped with a PPT :)

Offline beiduo721

• Fluffy Poster
  • Karma Points! 2
    • View Profile
Re: Introducing the Literature Review
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 11:37:01 PM »
Hi Kathy,I really like this activity! I observed Jin last week and she used this activity in her class for the last 30 minutes. Students were highly involved in their roles,they required to watch the video multiple times in order to analyze every detail; some of them even argued with each other about who's responsible for the accident.It is a good way to introduce literature review to ESL students by making them collect clues from others and develop them into a concise report.Students can practice speaking  and summarizing skills at the same time.It is better to assign the writing task to each student individually other than to have them just complete one report in a group. (some students may avoid contribution). Overall,it is a really interesting activity,thanks for sharing!   :)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 11:41:44 PM by beiduo721 »