Author Topic: Twilight and quotation rules!  (Read 2060 times)

Offline hmehrte2

• Dumbledore Poster!
  • Karma Points! 7
    • View Profile
Twilight and quotation rules!
« on: November 28, 2011, 11:16:55 PM »
I stumbled across a video for quotation rules a few weeks ago that might be useful for teenagers, especially a class of mostly girls. Here's the link:

I'm not sure if all of the rules are 100% accurate but it could be useful if your students like Twilight and you're trying to get through to them.

Offline mswyers

• Buckbeak Poster
  • Karma Points! 7
    • View Profile
Re: Twilight and quotation rules!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 08:35:14 PM »
I think that's an interesting idea for a lesson, especially since students struggle a little with direct vs. indirect quotations. On the other hand, the "Twilight" series is one of the worst series ever written, and I don't know that I could condone its use in a class that teaches good writing. :-) Still, I think it could be cool to show that to students and encourage them to make up their own mini grammar lesson using characters and situations from a book that they like, or maybe from a book they were all using in class.

Speaking of "Twilight," I very much enjoy this site. It picks apart all of Stephenie Meyers' bad writing (grammar, run-ons, etc.) It is geared for [snarky] native speakers, but I think our students could gain something from it...like, why clear, concise writing is important!

http://reasoningwithvampires.tumblr.com/

Offline hmehrte2

• Dumbledore Poster!
  • Karma Points! 7
    • View Profile
Re: Twilight and quotation rules!
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 11:51:51 PM »
I totally agree that showing the video in class is a bit weird. I'm not sure if I'd do it at a university but maybe in a high school? I thought I'd post it because it was so funny when I ran across it.

Cool website! LOL. I need to try to find a way to use it!