Author Topic: Trivia for Post-Reading  (Read 1655 times)

Offline Verena Kremsner

• Norbert Poster
  • Karma Points! 7
    • View Profile
Trivia for Post-Reading
« on: March 27, 2013, 11:24:49 AM »
Do you like Trivia Nights?
[/size]Why not use that passion for a post-reading activity in your reading classes?
[/size]
[/size]The other day I organized a trivia night for friends and put together a quiz with different rounds.
[/size]
[/size]I thought that some of the rounds might serve well as post-reading activities.
[/size]The round in the attachment is called Connections. There are 9 questions, whose answers have some common ground (e.g., they could all start with the same letter, they could all be related to roses, to the color blue, etc.).  So there is one point available for each individual question and 5 extra points, if the teams get the connection right.
[/size]I was thinking that a trivia activity like this could be used after some extensive readings (in this case on cultural issues/popular culture in English-speaking countries).  One could also relate it to doing research and have students get practice in skimming English-speaking texts on the Internet. They would also have to discuss possible answers and connections in teams.
[/size]Try it out and design your own trivia activity that fits your students and your purposes. (This one is kind of tricky, because it is meant for bigger groups ).
[/size]Have fun!
PS: Did you figure out the connection?

Offline lyneelawson

• Norbert Poster
  • Karma Points! 9
    • View Profile
Re: Trivia for Post-Reading
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 03:14:15 PM »
Games are always such a helpful, welcomed activity if they are wisely chosen and properly placed. Sometimes though, for teachers, it can be time consuming to have to come up with all the questions from different readings. After reading your post I thought that it might be fun to challenge the students (who were advanced enough to write them) to write their own in groups to distribute to the rest of the class. Then there could be "trivia" day when the groups could compete with one another in figuring out all the puzzles. If the students knew about this activity beforehand, it may even be an incentive/motivation for them to get into the reading more. Great idea!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 03:14:56 PM by lyneelawson »