Author Topic: Motivating EFL readers  (Read 1459 times)

Offline racard15

• Buckbeak Poster
  • Karma Points! 2
    • View Profile
Motivating EFL readers
« on: January 29, 2014, 10:12:26 PM »
It is not easy to motivate EFL readers because they will face several problems. Here is a list:

1. Unfamiliar topics
2. Lots of new words
3. Complicated grammar
4. Strange names
5. Unexpected and inexplicable situations

However, there are a few things that can help them "like" their readings and motivate them to write about them. Here is a another list:

1. Pictures (book covers also count)
2. The possibility of a "movie" based on the book or novel
3. Prediction about the story
4. Reading aloud for a grade or points! ( checking pronunciation and meaning)
5. Drawing pictures about the story events

It is challenging because there are many things against it, but reading can be taught as an independent area. In fact, in many EFL schools I know, reading is an important course.  :)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 10:13:36 PM by racard15 »

Offline pinglinchuang

• Buckbeak Poster
  • Karma Points! 3
    • View Profile
Re: Motivating EFL readers
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 10:26:44 AM »
I really agree with the tips that are offered here. I've seen some teachers use them in their EFL classrooms, and it worked. But I would say teachers should use these tips based on the age and ability of their students. Drawing pictures, for example, is more suitable for elementary or middle school students. I once asked my students to create comic strips based on the reading in textbook, and they really engaged themselves in the activity. It is a good way to check their understanding and interpretation of the reading. For high school students, story prediction or role-play would also work. Story prediction is a nice activity to have during the process of reading so that students are constantly motivated to continue reading. Role-play, on the other hand, can be used as a post-reading activity. Students can get really excited even if it's just a five-minute play.

But I think the most important thing is that students need to find "reading" meaningful. If they see the purpose and benefit of reading, they will be willing to read even without these activities.