Author Topic: Fun icebreaker: Picture-Story Game (Telephone Pictionary)  (Read 2523 times)

Offline yelenafk

• Norbert Poster
  • Karma Points! 2
    • View Profile
Fun icebreaker: Picture-Story Game (Telephone Pictionary)
« on: February 18, 2014, 02:47:56 PM »
I wasn't sure where to put this lesson plan; it's a short one, only 20-30 minutes, so it didn't seem to belong in the Complete Units forum. It also isn't strictly a getting-to-know-you activity, though it is a great icebreaker. However, it's one of the most fun games I've ever played in any language. So here it goes into Motivation!

Connie and I presented this lesson plan to our Reading and Writing class of ESL teachers-in-training during our Practice Day last week. People enjoyed playing the game and had some interesting ideas about how it could be adapted to different educational situations. It involves reading, writing, listening, speaking, and drawing.

Have a look at the attached materials and let us know what you think!

-Yelena and Connie

Offline Xiaowan

• Norbert Poster
  • Karma Points! 1
    • View Profile
Re: Fun icebreaker: Picture-Story Game (Telephone Pictionary)
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 04:01:10 PM »
This is a pretty interesting icebreaker game! And it can be played by young as well as adult learners. Moreover, it is not constrained by students' proficiency levels.
One similar idea to this is that
1. The teacher puts students into several groups of 10 and asks each group to form a straight line.
2. The first person in each line stands facing the teacher, while the rest of the students face towards the opposite side.
3. The teacher gives a sentence to the first person of each group to act out to the student immediately following him/her. Verbal description is not allowed in the acting-out. Other students remain their position and wait for their turn. 
4. The second person has to guess what the sentence is and to convey it to the third person using whatever way he/she likes.
5. The same procedure repeats for each student, and they take turns acting out and guessing. 
6. When it moves to the last person in the line, the teacher will ask the student what he/she think the sentence is.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 04:02:49 PM by Xiaowan »

Offline Colleen

• Buckbeak Poster
  • Karma Points! 3
    • View Profile
Re: Fun icebreaker: Picture-Story Game (Telephone Pictionary)
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 11:09:09 PM »
I like both of the games as ice breakers! It's great that students and the teacher are not just sitting and talking, but there are actions like drawing, standing up and acting. It can be very helpful if there are many students who are shy to speak in front of strangers; by doing something fun that doesn't merely require them to speak in English when others all stare at you, it gives students a sense of safety and ease.