Author Topic: Change the Language Setting in Devices, Apps, Sites  (Read 1555 times)

Offline y

• Buckbeak Poster
  • Karma Points! 9
    • View Profile
Change the Language Setting in Devices, Apps, Sites
« on: February 05, 2015, 08:36:53 PM »
Encourage students to create a language immersion environment as much as possible for themselves by changing the language setting in their devices, apps, social network sites, etc. Ask them to choose English as the display language when using the ATM, workout facilities, airline TV, etc.

>:D

Offline MarthaFace

• Norbert Poster
  • Karma Points! 2
    • View Profile
Re: Change the Language Setting in Devices, Apps, Sites
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 01:36:34 PM »
I know necessity can be a great teacher and all, but I'm not sure how great an idea this would be for some things. 

I tried doing that quite a lot when I was in living in Japan, and there were times when it created more of a problem than a help.  You can do some really disastrous things when you have the language changed and then even if you change it back to your native language you can't figure out what you did.  Not to mention that a lot of the language that you see on devices is solely on devices. There are many computer error messages that I can't even understand when they are in English.  I can't imagine what it would be like in another languge or how useful it would be to eventually understand that. 

Offline Xiaowan

• Norbert Poster
  • Karma Points! 1
    • View Profile
Re: Change the Language Setting in Devices, Apps, Sites
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 03:11:25 PM »
I think it is a good idea to encourage students to practice a second language by changing the language setting on the electronic devices they use or the apps they like. I did this myself by using my cellphone and laptop in an English-mediated environment and my favorite chat app as well. However, to completely rely on the contact with the limited language exposure on devices or apps may not be as helpful as one expects it to be, because I tend to overlook the exact language as I get used to the function of each button, especially the few ones that I frequently click.