Author Topic: An Examination of Writing Program Administrators' Options...  (Read 1809 times)

Offline Stephanie_Osborne

• Buckbeak Poster
  • Karma Points! 4
    • View Profile
An Examination of Writing Program Administrators' Options...
« on: February 11, 2015, 07:07:18 PM »
An Examination of Writing Program Administrators' Options for the Placement of ESL Students in First Year Writing Classes by Tony Silva

http://wpacouncil.org/archives/18n1-2/18n1-2silva.pdf

I'm not exactly sure if this paper belongs in this forum, but reading about the difficulty of placement for first year ESL students made me think what I feel would be reasonable. The author made in argument of three options:

1) Just putting ESL students into a NES (Native English Speaker) classroom
2) Place the ESL students in a NES beginners writing class
3) Have a separate class specifically for ESL students
4) Create a classroom where there are half NES students and half ESL students making it a intertwined, integrated classroom.

I thought of another option. I felt that the ESL students should be put into a regular NES writing class, but also be required to take an extra class specifically for ESL students. Of course this would require extra funds and more teachers ( some specifically experienced in working with ESL students). I feel placing the ESL students in a NES classroom will give them a chance to experience what is expected in their English writing and having them take the class will also ensure they are not behind. The extra class specifically for ESL students could be a class to help them transition and learn to accommodate their L2 writing to be similar to NES as well as they could have more one on one time with that teacher to ask questions about the writing assignments from the NES class they are taking. They could do in-class activities and be required to do something such as keep a journal or have a "exam" once a month where they would write the whole class time based on a topic given by the teacher, so that their thinking can be more similar to a NES when writing. But that class wouldn't assign take home papers to work on due to them being in the NES class as well. I personally feel something like this would be a better option.

Stephanie O.

Offline Randall Sadler

• The boss of the Forum!
  • Administrator
  • Dumbledore Poster!
  • Karma Points! 164
  • Yes, well done. Well done.
    • View Profile
    • ESLWeb.org:  http://www.eslweb.org
Re: An Examination of Writing Program Administrators' Options...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 10:50:37 AM »
So, you option would sort of like the prerequisite placement option, but changing it so that they take the ESL course simultaneously.  Is that right?  In some ways, that is like the "Sheltered Model."
Randall Sadler, Site Owner
Asst. Prof, Linguistics, U. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign  www.eslweb.org

Offline Stephanie_Osborne

• Buckbeak Poster
  • Karma Points! 4
    • View Profile
Re: An Examination of Writing Program Administrators' Options...
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 01:59:53 PM »
Yes exactly. The ESL would be required for the ESL students to take along with the NES course. Almost like an extra discussion class
Stephanie O.