Author Topic: Pre-Reading activities for article on Ceres Science  (Read 7387 times)

Offline Randall Sadler

• The boss of the Forum!
  • Administrator
  • Dumbledore Poster!
  • Karma Points! 165
  • Yes, well done. Well done.
    • View Profile
    • ESLWeb.org:  http://www.eslweb.org
Pre-Reading activities for article on Ceres Science
« on: March 03, 2015, 12:18:24 PM »
Reply to this post and share your idea for Pre-Reading Activities related to this article from Space.com: 
Ceres Science: NASA Probe to Study Dwarf Planet's Bright Spots and More

http://www.space.com/28716-dwarf-planet-ceres-dawn-science.html

In the Reading section of the forum you can also find During Reading and Post-Reading ideas for this article!!

« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 12:18:55 PM by Randall Sadler »
Randall Sadler, Site Owner
Asst. Prof, Linguistics, U. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign  www.eslweb.org

Offline Liwen Huang

• Buckbeak Poster
  • Karma Points! 4
    • View Profile
Re: Pre-Reading activities for article on Ceres Science
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 03:14:45 PM »
Teach basic concepts in astronomy in the hope of facilitating comprehension for students who has limited knowledge of this topic in their L2. For example, what is dwarf? Is it different from dwarf as we know in daily life.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 03:15:21 PM by Liwen Huang »

Offline noreen

• Buckbeak Poster
  • Karma Points! 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 02:43:47 PM »
For a pre-reading activity, I think it is important to include content as well as formal schema. I think that having something like a short vocab list, with names for planets, and space for students to write their own definitions for the technical/scientific vocab.
The technical vocab and the scientific words occur a lot in the text, so that is why I think it is important to include these words beforehand. Also, there are some prepositions and direction words in the text.
So I think that, depending on the level of the class, this pre-reading activity can be tweaked for grammar or for thematic vocab. For example, if the class had previously struggled with prepositions or complex sentences, then the pre-reading activity can be modified to explicitly mention and practice these difficulties.
I think that also some intro of the content schema and formal schema is also important. I think that since this article is nonfiction, ask students things like "What are planets? Where are they located? When do we see them," etc.
Also, maybe have students read out some "cool facts" or "weird facts" about outer space. Just to get them interested (depending on the level of the students). This pre-reading activity focuses a lot on vocabulary.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 03:12:46 PM by noreen »

Offline KiChan Park

• Norbert Poster
  • Karma Points! 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 03:13:33 PM »
The teacher can ask their students present what they know about astronomy. For example, The teacher can ask the students present the information about planets they are familiar with. By doing this, the students could not only learn some vocabulary that may be required for the reading but also activate their schema before reading the article.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 03:14:29 PM by KiChan Park »
Ki-Chan Park

Offline noreen

• Buckbeak Poster
  • Karma Points! 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 03:13:44 PM »
Also, since the article contains a couple of embedded videos, I think that watching the videos would reinforce the vocabulary, as well as provide a visual.

Offline omid

• Norbert Poster
  • Karma Points! 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 03:13:53 PM »
One thing we could do is ask them if they have watched any movies about space. If they don't come up with any names of movies, we could ask if they have seen movies like Interstellar or Gravity before. Then we can ask them to tell the rest of class about the movies, and space!

Orrrrr, we could play the trailers for these movies and then ask them what they think if they were in situations like the ones depicted in the movies. That could be a good departure point for the lesson.

Offline KiChan Park

• Norbert Poster
  • Karma Points! 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 03:17:42 PM »
I like Omid's idea. It would be really fun to talk about the movies about the space. Ss would be more motivated to read the article after they participate in this activity.
Ki-Chan Park

Offline ElaineYL

• Buckbeak Poster
  • Karma Points! 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 03:23:47 PM »
Liwen, I strongly agree with you! Similarly, many related topics about astrology can be introduced to the students before reading. For instance, what is astrology, did they have any field trip experiences in the past, have they ever watched documentaries about astrology.

The schema-activation activities can be tailored to students of all age groups and language levels. It can be interesting, and can use the help of online resources from the space centers, planetarium, museums, etc.

These are the website that the pre-activities can be build on.
adler planetarium, teach and learn: http://www.adlerplanetarium.org/field-trip/
kennedy space center: https://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/

Offline yjihye84

• Muggle Poster
  • Karma Points! 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 03:24:05 PM »
Group: Jihye Yoon, Jenna Suk, Fei Chen Wen, Yaqian Jiang

•Previewing the text activity

Have a look at the title and subtitles of the article. Look up any words you do not know. What do you think this article will talk about?

•Video:

Now watch the first video on this page (http://www.space.com/28716-dwarf-planet-ceres-dawn-science.html).

While you watch the video, try to answer the questions below.

1.What is Ceres?

2.What is Dawn?

3.What is the mission of Dawn (in relation to Ceres)?

Offline catadelpilar

• Norbert Poster
  • Karma Points! 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 08:01:49 PM »
I'll have them predict the content of the article based on the title. This step would help the teacher see how much they know or if they know about the topic. (They may not know what is CERES or "probe" is or someone may have read about this already if interested in astronomy). Another idea would be asking them what they think the "Bright spots" may be and why.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 08:02:30 PM by catadelpilar »

Offline ChrisHuh

• Buckbeak Poster
  • Karma Points! 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 11:24:24 PM »
  • Read the title and heading of the article.  Make predictions about what the article is about.
  • Google Dawn and Vesta. Ask students to find out more information about these things and share.
  • Know, Want to know, what you've Learned chart (KWL chart) is something that I used to a lot in elementary school. It's not only a pre-reading activity, but it also is a post reading activity. Before students read, they write down/share what they already know about the topic by reading the title and the headings of the article.  Then, they write down things that they want to know about the topic.  After they read, they write down/share what they learned from the reading.
Diane, Karesa, Chris
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 11:25:21 PM by ChrisHuh »

Offline Nagi

• Buckbeak Poster
  • Karma Points! 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 12:50:04 PM »
For pre-reading of this particular article, I think it is crucial for students to understand many scientific vocab terms. However, I think one important notion would be "moon."
When learners hear "moon," I think they know it. But they are probably only familiar with the "moon" the can see in nighttime.

So, I would start the lesson off by showing the "typical moon" that we can see at night
--then ask "what is this?"
--"What do you know about it?"
Then I would show pictures of "moons" and make sure they know "moon" doesn't necessary refer to the one we see at night.

For fun, I could do an activity which asks
"You were exploring "a" moon and you suddenly encountered a bright light! What do you think it might be? Be creative!"

Have students get into pairs and for about three minutes, let them come up with some ideas.
After that time, teacher can ask for volunteers to share ideas.
Teacher should jot down those ideas on white board for classes to see (hopefully there will be both "fantasy" ideas and scientific hypothesis answers).

Then, after summarizing the students hypothesis, lead them into the actual reading material (Ceres article), saying "well, this explains some possible answers. Let's see if any of you are with the author!"

Offline y

• Buckbeak Poster
  • Karma Points! 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 01:55:07 PM »
For pre-reading, the video and some photos of Ceres can be used to stimulate students' curiosity, such as the video included in the article: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLu4P4goZ1s. In addition, questions such as "what is a dwarf planet", "how it is different from a planet or a natural satellite?", ect., can be assigned to different groups of students. Each group needs to find out the answer before the class.