Author Topic: Using Infographics for "Controlled" Free Writing  (Read 2762 times)

Offline jiaxinxu

• Fang Poster
  • Karma Points! 0
    • View Profile
Using Infographics for "Controlled" Free Writing
« on: May 05, 2015, 12:17:43 AM »
Infographics include a huge amount of information (pictures, colored bars, and numbers), and they can immediately grab students' attention to assess the information and get into the topic. The instructor can choose an infographic that is related to the topic of the lesson, and ask students to use it for free writing. For example, the following infograph comparing between travelling in London and Paris can be used in a class about travelling. Students can write freely about anything mentioned in the infographics and then share answers.

London vs Paris Infographic

Offline omid

• Norbert Poster
  • Karma Points! 1
    • View Profile
Re: Using Infographics for "Controlled" Free Writing
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 01:52:28 PM »
I really like this idea; I think it would be a great way for students to practice descriptive writing. I think it would also be very appropriate for ESP students because there are often infographics on even quite technical things that teachers could use.

You mentioned that this would work well for "free writing." What kind of modifications would you recommend if one were to use inforgraphics for a more structured task? Have you done this in the past yourself?