Author Topic: Introduction warm up activity  (Read 4777 times)

Offline luvjanny

• Dumbledore Poster!
  • Karma Points! 7
  • smurfette
    • View Profile
Introduction warm up activity
« on: February 05, 2010, 08:52:27 PM »
This is an idea borrowed from one of my colleagues(thanks Jill Tschopp), so with her permission I'm writing this down. I thought this was a good warm-up activity~

Find a list of attention grabbing first lines from various genres (journals, novels, comic books, etc.). Type them down and cut them into slips. Put them in a box or a bag and ask students to randomly grab a slip.  Let students guess from what genre the first lines came from. Go around in class and ask. Give them the answers and ask them if the first lines grabbed their attention. From here, you can discuss the importance of grabbing the reader's attention when writing the first line to your introduction.

Attached is a sample.
Who am I? I am the other in you.

Offline Randall Sadler

• The boss of the Forum!
  • Administrator
  • Dumbledore Poster!
  • Karma Points! 164
  • Yes, well done. Well done.
    • View Profile
    • ESLWeb.org:  http://www.eslweb.org
Re: Introduction warm up activity
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 11:26:35 AM »
Great idea!  I like how it also brings up the idea of "attention grabbers."   :notworthy
Randall Sadler, Site Owner
Asst. Prof, Linguistics, U. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign  www.eslweb.org

Offline leylalambert

• Buckbeak Poster
  • Karma Points! 0
    • View Profile
Re: Introduction warm up activity
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 04:47:02 PM »
Here is another warm-up activity for teaching introductions. Create a google form similar to the one linked here (https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1JT4fmbLbxMMW4LaFYkwNnrHqlDr92yoJkUKKQLIMAkA/viewform) in which students need to evaluate several statements about introductions.

The advantage of using google forms is that you can show the summary of student responses on the board. I used it in my class, and responses were sometimes surprising. The activity generated a good discussion and at times challenged students' ideas regarding the function of introductions in argumentative essays.