Author Topic: Motivate students to want to have fun in class :)  (Read 1532 times)

Offline msmiszoglad

• Dumbledore Poster!
  • Karma Points! 14
    • View Profile
Motivate students to want to have fun in class :)
« on: January 26, 2016, 06:00:49 PM »
I developed this quiz for the ESL course I am teaching this spring (ESL 115)--so just a week ago, but it worked so well with my students that I wanted to share it.
This was the first time that I have done anything like this, and I was not sure if it would work or if my students would think that it was funny--my sense of humor is a bit odd so it happens that it just does not resonate with students and most of the time it takes them a little bit to get used to my tendency of making fun of myself.
However, I gave out this quiz on the very first day of class after I had introduced the course, my expectations, and myself--and as the students were filling out the multiple choice sheet, they were giggling, which has really helped set the atmosphere of the class from the get-go.
I felt that this was a great ice-breaker, and it was a fun way to get my point across, make sure they understand what is important to me and what they need to do, but at the same time let them see that all I want is for them to learn and to have a class where they can feel comfortable to talk, share their ideas, as well as to share what they do not know in order to make progress.

Offline Randall Sadler

• The boss of the Forum!
  • Administrator
  • Dumbledore Poster!
  • Karma Points! 164
  • Yes, well done. Well done.
    • View Profile
    • ESLWeb.org:  http://www.eslweb.org
Re: Motivate students to want to have fun in class :)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 01:24:48 PM »
For Question 4, the answer is clearly "D"!!!!!!

:lol-animated                                                          :lol-animated                                                                :lol-animated                                                                                        :lol-animated
Randall Sadler, Site Owner
Asst. Prof, Linguistics, U. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign  www.eslweb.org

Offline bolos2

• Fluffy Poster
  • Karma Points! 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 02:03:01 PM »
This is great! I was giggling too. I might modify this to use in future classes :)

Offline vabbott2

• Norbert Poster
  • Karma Points! 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 02:10:28 PM »
I really like this first day quiz idea. Like Katina, I may adapt this too. I'm teaching listening-speaking this semester and we did an info gap with the First Day Handout. They had to discuss the parts that were missing, and it got them excited about what they would be learning over the semester. Then I gave them the complete copy, but they already are familiar with the material, and I hold them accountable for that.

Offline Evan Branson

• Norbert Poster
  • Karma Points! 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 05:37:20 PM »
Neat! I like this idea and will maybe adopt it too. :)