Author Topic: Reading/teaching a novel  (Read 1445 times)

Offline vabbott2

• Norbert Poster
  • Karma Points! 16
    • View Profile
Reading/teaching a novel
« on: February 04, 2016, 11:17:36 AM »
Here is an assortment of links I found related to teaching a novel. There are some great ideas that could be adapted to the ESL/EFL classroom with additional scaffolding.

Introducing a book

Teaching a novel
Teaching a whole novel
  • This is an article from Edweek.com where a teacher advocates for letting students read a novel as a whole and drawing upon their reactions or experiences. The teacher briefly describes how to scaffold and support students through a potentially intimidating approach to tackling literature.
  • For EFL/ESL, I would think this might only work with upper level students with a realistic reading schedule and maybe a shorter novel. It's definitely an interesting idea.
  • http://www.edweek.org/tsb/articles/2012/02/29/02sacks.h05.html
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 11:20:18 AM by vabbott2 »

Offline Randall Sadler

• The boss of the Forum!
  • Administrator
  • Dumbledore Poster!
  • Karma Points! 164
  • Yes, well done. Well done.
    • View Profile
    • ESLWeb.org:  http://www.eslweb.org
Re: Reading/teaching a novel
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 01:28:53 PM »
Nice resources!!!!

::Good job!
Randall Sadler, Site Owner
Asst. Prof, Linguistics, U. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign  www.eslweb.org

Offline KatAnn

• Dumbledore Poster!
  • Karma Points! 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 02:02:29 PM »
Thanks for posting this! I struggle a lot to teach fiction to students!

Offline msmiszoglad

• Dumbledore Poster!
  • Karma Points! 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 03:53:01 PM »
Val,

Thank you for this post. I especially like the last point you made regarding teaching "whole novels" to students.

I remember when I was learning English, we got these books that were tweaked a LOT in order to "meet our needs". However, what ended up happening was that many of the books we had to read, that were originally 200-300 page novels, were shortened "according to levels" to about 50-pages books--almost like spark notes. These books were not enjoyable anymore, because they only offered the synopsis basically of each book, and the books ended up being so unoriginal and fake, that they took the enjoyment factor out of the reading experience.
This approach you pointed out would be so much better and it would offer a real reading experience to students.
Thanks again!