Author Topic: Bloom's Taxonomy and Keywords  (Read 1116 times)

Offline sanfran

• Buckbeak Poster
  • Karma Points! 4
    • View Profile
Bloom's Taxonomy and Keywords
« on: February 25, 2016, 07:00:20 PM »
:bluestar On Bloom’s Taxonomy :bluestar

Bloom’s Taxonomy of Educational Objectives is a widespread categorical framework applied by K-12 teachers and college instructors alike. It has six fundamental steps, which I will now list in order of attainment:

1. Remember: Recognize, recall, define, duplicate, memorize, repeat, state

2. Understand: Interpret, exemplify, classify, summarize, infer, explain, describe, discuss, locate, recognize, report, select, translate
3. Apply: Execute, implement, solve, use, demonstrate, interpret, operate, schedule, sketch
4. Analyze: Differentiate, organize, attribute, relate, compare, contrast, distinguish, examine, experiment, question, text
5. Evaluate: Check, critique, appraise, argue, defend, judge, support, value, weigh
6. Create: Generate, plan, produce, design, assemble, construct, develop, formulate

The “action verbs” under each classification can aid teachers in selecting the best wording when creating classroom goals and lesson objectives! As you can see, there is a multitude of ways to convey what students will be able to do without utilizing the usual “to understand” or “to learn.” To quote N.H. Kleinbaum from Dead Poets Society, “avoid using the word ‘very’ because it’s lazy. A man is not very tired, he is exhausted. Don’t use very sad, use morose.” (:

In the Context of Writing
Teachers can apply Bloom’s Taxonomy, along with its extensive list of keywords, to aid in designing appropriate materials that address their specific target needs.  Personally, I find having a awareness of the environments in which certain words can apply, allows me to quickly and effectively write my objectives.

For instance, let’s say that a teacher is interested in creating something applicable. In that case, they already have an assortment of keywords to choose from to best convey their ideas and questions that can be built upon the keywords for their students to answer, like:

- “What approach would you use to…?”
- “How would you solve ____ with what you’ve learned?”
- “What would result if…?”
- “How would you apply ___ in a scenario such as…?”

Personal Thoughts
There is so much that can be said on this topic, and I for one regard it as something good to keep in mind, loosely if anything as it’s not really something I would implement step by step as Bloom lays out. Learning is hardly so straightforward! However, I do think that it provides a concise overview to the types of levels that may be present in a course and can act as a tool to avoid vagueness when presenting content. 

References/Links
https://cft.vanderbilt.edu/guides-sub-pages/blooms-taxonomy/
http://teaching.uncc.edu/learning-resources/articles-books/best-practice/goals-objectives/writing-objectives
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/24/Blooms_rose.svg/2000px-Blooms_rose.svg.png
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 03:03:56 PM by sanfran »