Author Topic: Sticky Note Vocab Review  (Read 1764 times)

Offline vabbott2

• Norbert Poster
  • Karma Points! 16
    • View Profile
Sticky Note Vocab Review
« on: March 23, 2016, 08:39:57 PM »
Hello,

I know my students appreciate getting up and moving around the room from time to time. One thing I did for vocabulary review was to put students in groups and gave each group a giant sticky note (or two). They were posted around the room to give each group space to complete the activity. Each group was assigned 2-3 words to work with. At this point, we had already reviewed the vocab once or twice before. For each word, the groups had to come up with their own definition, the part of speech, and then use it correctly in a sentence. After I briefly checked the answers, each group had a representative present their words.

I think one of the things that made this successful was that students enjoy teaching their classmates. Sometimes it is motivating to help them establish themselves as an "expert" in the classroom. To make this activity more challenging, you could have them create one correct sentence and one incorrect sentence and have the classmates choose the correct sentences and explain why the others were wrong.

Cheers,
Val

Offline Randall Sadler

• The boss of the Forum!
  • Administrator
  • Dumbledore Poster!
  • Karma Points! 164
  • Yes, well done. Well done.
    • View Profile
    • ESLWeb.org:  http://www.eslweb.org
Re: Sticky Note Vocab Review
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 10:32:35 AM »
Yes!  Sometimes the best way to learn is to teach, and this sounds like a good way to get students into that role.  Plus, giant sticky notes??!!    ::yeah!
Randall Sadler, Site Owner
Asst. Prof, Linguistics, U. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign  www.eslweb.org

Offline KatAnn

• Dumbledore Poster!
  • Karma Points! 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 05:44:20 AM »
I love this idea! This could be adapted for any activity that involves memorizing concepts.

My only question is, is it appropriate to ask students to write an incorrect sentence? I often wonder if that makes students internalize incorrect material, but you know more about it than me.  :-X

Offline Kokoro

• Fluffy Poster
  • Karma Points! 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 11:47:07 PM »
This activity looks fun, and I really like the idea. I think that developing productive vocabulary is harder compared to receptive vocabulary and that this kind of activity helps students improve not only their receptive vocabulary but also productive vocabulary because it requires students to use vocabulary in context. I feel this activity may suit adult learners better if the teacher asks students about part of speech and asks them to provide explanation for the wrong sentences. One thing you could do regarding this kind of vocabulary activity is to have students create more than one sentence or a short dialogue using one or more assigned words, depending on available time in the class.

Offline mhenehan

• Dumbledore Poster!
  • Karma Points! 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 09:26:11 PM »
Yes!  Two of my favorite things:  moving around and students teaching.  nice.  As for "accuracy" I'm pretty big on that.  But it sounds like they really have learned the words, and now they have to expand or re-express what they know.  That seems to be a good balance between having the right definition and pushing output that could have glitches but is productive.  Making them compose incorrect sentences also trains them to be teachers - evil test-giving teachers!  ;-)
Correcting incorrect material is tried and true(?), so producing them may be even better.
I'm in.  I like it. 
Marie Henehan