Author Topic: Motivation for English Reading  (Read 1055 times)

Offline mienjenwu

• Buckbeak Poster
  • Karma Points! 7
    • View Profile
Motivation for English Reading
« on: April 24, 2016, 11:57:37 AM »
This idea is from my past experience in high school, but I think other teachers may try doing this as well.  :)

During our summer/winter breaks, in order to motivate us to read some English books/novels, teachers would give as a reading list with different "levels" of readings on it. I think there were five levels or so, but anyway the readings were categorized based on their length and vocabulary. Also, there was a reading test designed for each reading, so after you read a book/novel you can do the test to get points. Of course, if you did a test of a higher-level reading you can get more points, and this motivated students to challenge more difficult readings. Our teacher set a minimum requirement for the points you needed to get during the breaks, but if you would like to do more it was also welcomed, and in the end the student who got most points would get a small award.

I think it turned out pretty well. The questions were well-designed (including multiple-choice and short-answer questions), so students needed to have a comprehensive understanding of the reading to pass its test. Therefore, for those who will be teaching English in an EFL setting, this may be a good activity for students during breaks.

Offline pinglinchuang

• Buckbeak Poster
  • Karma Points! 3
    • View Profile
Re: Motivation for English Reading
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 10:42:17 AM »
When I was a student teacher, the instructor I worked with used a similar method in her class. She purchased many series of leveled books and asked students to pick three books each semester to read. Her goal was for students to reach a higher level by the end of the semester. Students were more willing to read because they have a lot more choices and they can earn extra credits if they read more than three books.

For English reading, especially extensive reading, arousing students' motivation is very important. Some teachers might assign a book as a whole class, but I don't think it's necessarily effective. From my personal experience, the topic and the level of the book greatly influences students' interest in reading. As the EFL classrooms in my country have various levels of students, choosing the right book for extensive reading activity is really vital. I believe the idea of leveled books is a great one in EFL/ESL settings.