Author Topic: Sustaining motivation for (extensive) reading  (Read 625 times)

Offline frankgiraldo

• Fluffy Poster
  • Karma Points! 1
    • View Profile
Sustaining motivation for (extensive) reading
« on: January 20, 2017, 09:49:14 PM »
Ferris and Hedgcock (2009) claim that extensive reading is motivating, and this is one of the most convincing research findings in the field. In my experience, this is something I have seen happen whenever I use extensive reading because, not surprisingly, students get to choose what they want to read.
However, once I had a student who lost motivation. My solution: I asked him to read something else. Simple yet effective. Here’s the context.
I have asked students to choose a graded reader from the library of the university where I work. Then, I ask them to read the book they select and turn in a short paragraph every week of new things they have learned; whatever works: new concepts, new expressions, vocabulary, a new interesting fact about the world. However, once I noticed that a student of mine was losing motivation to keep on reading. He felt he had chose one that was way beyond his level.
Because extensive reading is for pleasure, I told him he could choose another book and just keep on reading as he felt comfortable. The reading report was a complete/incomplete grade, planned mostly to keep them on track.
The lesson is: Be flexible with your approach to teaching reading, or providing extensive reading opportunities.
ReferenceHedgcock, J.S., & Ferris, D.R. (2009). [/color]Teaching Readers of English: Students, Texts, and Contexts [/size][/color](3rd ed.).[/size]