Author Topic: Apple Pie & Prepositions  (Read 803 times)

Offline Hannah_Harris

• Buckbeak Poster
  • Karma Points! 3
    • View Profile
Apple Pie & Prepositions
« on: February 05, 2017, 05:58:20 PM »
One difficult area for NNES when learning English includes prepositions. These elusive parts of speech can be challenging for students to use accurately and internalize. This activity is a collaborative effort between myself and two other students. Students were given a PPT of an apple pie recipe without the directions. The task increased with difficulty. At first, students filled in the blank. Then the last challenging part was the unscramble the directions, which challenged students to use the correct word order and also include appropriate prepositions. To extend this activity for a writing task, teachers could have students write a favorite recipe from their L1 into English to focus on using the correct prepositions. I found that this task was fairly popular seeing as we got to talk about food!

https://files.acrobat.com/a/preview/a2a75903-31a2-4c02-a6bd-cede76067761

Offline Randall Sadler

• The boss of the Forum!
  • Administrator
  • Dumbledore Poster!
  • Karma Points! 164
  • Yes, well done. Well done.
    • View Profile
    • ESLWeb.org:  http://www.eslweb.org
Re: Apple Pie & Prepositions
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 11:29:05 AM »
AND there is never enough Apple Pie!!!    :notworthy
Randall Sadler, Site Owner
Asst. Prof, Linguistics, U. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign  www.eslweb.org

Offline mhenehan

• Dumbledore Poster!
  • Karma Points! 3
    • View Profile
Re: Apple Pie & Prepositions
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 06:28:01 AM »
Oh I like this Hannah, because it sneaks that hard work on prepositions in there while doing something fun and delicious.  I've see prepositions singled out in other reading tasks.  Have you had experience with one type that does not work compared to better one?  Also, would stick to just prepositions here and do phrasal verbs totally separately?
Marie
Marie Henehan