Author Topic: Adapt similar Laws or Manners from a Book Into Temporary Class Rules  (Read 1025 times)

Offline semorro2

• Buckbeak Poster
  • Karma Points! 1
    • View Profile
I have always benefited from teachers who took parts of a book and implemented them into reality into a class. Whether it be the well-known colony games and projects that history teachers do to talk about the American 13 colonies in elementary school. The students have to write about creating sustainable living conditions, they can die or lose a life too. Many students benefit from this kind of  way to turn the book or history into something more tangible for them.

I had the chance to work with advanced ESL middle schoolers. We were reading the book Breaking Stalin's Nose and we followed some of the themes from the book in class such as giving them "official issued" pencils, erasers, yarn necklaces/ "scarves", and we even made them call their teachers similar titles as the leaders in the books. The students were also given incentive to tattle on their classmates' misbehavior whether it be true or not to get ahead in class. All of this relates to the main character's perception of the society they live in. The students had to bring all of their "official issued" items to class every day, and if they did not or they were tattled on they would die for the day. They also could die from not doing homework or disobeying other basic classroom rules. If all students had at least one life by the end of the book, we promised them a pizza party.

This group of students was particularly hard to motivate, but through this more immersive approach to the book they were able to really grasp more of the main character's perspective of the society and setting of the book.

When reading The Hobbit, and learning about hobbit manners, customs and levels of politeness, I am inspired to try to  think of a a similar way to create an immersive class experience for students. This immersive experience could be based on hobbit norms, and perhaps a teacher could tweak the class rules a little to fit these expectations. If a student disobeys maybe they would become "goblin food" for the day.