Author Topic: Using TED talks to motivate students in writing  (Read 573 times)

Offline JasonOu

• Buckbeak Poster
  • Karma Points! 4
    • View Profile
Using TED talks to motivate students in writing
« on: February 13, 2017, 04:01:30 PM »
I love using TED talks to teach ESL writing, so in the following I want to share a few ideas that I have used or not yet implemented:

1. Use TED talks to teach prediction skills or at least spark students' interest in writing. The following talk, how to control someone else's arm with your brain by Greg Gage in 2015 is one of my favorites. To make the full use of this talk, teachers can first show students the title of the talk and ask them to predict in what ways the person is going to achieve that. Afterwards, teachers can play the video to the class. Before the scene of the female volunteer in the talk controlling the male volunteer's arm, teachers can stop and ask the class, "what do you think might happen?" Once students give their prediction, then resume the video. At the end, ask students to compare their prediction they had in the first place with what actually happened and write a revision.

2. Use TED talks to teach summarizing and paraphrasing. The talk given by Gabriel Barcia-Colombo, capturing memories in video arts, is a good one to use. Before playing the talk, teachers need to tell students to keep in mind what the talk is mainly about because they later need to write a summary. After playing the video, teachers can either assign students to write a summary of the talk on Padlet in pairs or individually depending on their levels. Once everyone is finished with writing, then teachers can give feedback for each group and teach characteristics of summary writing. In addition to teaching summarizing skills, teachers can also select a certain excerpt of the talk and then ask students to practice paraphrasing the excerpt.   

Offline pkline

• Fluffy Poster
  • Karma Points! 0
    • View Profile
Re: Using TED talks to motivate students in writing
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 05:38:10 PM »
Boy I love TED talks too. There was a time in my life that they would be the only thing I watched. I wanted to add two different videos.
1) Want to sound like a leader? Start by saying your name right presented by Laura Sicola. This is a rather long video (~16min) so it would not be the best for an in-class activity. Instead, have the students view it at home, write a summary and isolate 3-5 takeaway points. Then, in class the instructor can guide the discussion to the importance and weighty significance of intonation. Then, of course, students can practice saying their names and introducing themselves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02EJ1IdC6tE&t=539s

2) How to sound smart in your TEDx Talk  presented by Will Stephen. This video is much quicker and rather funny so it would work out well for an in-class activity. Along the same lines of the previous video, this one touches on the importance of intonation, but it goes much further in terms of gestures and pauses. Many ESL learners do so in a professional setting, and this video gives great strategies and ways to think about how to highlight information.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S0FDjFBj8o