Author Topic: Linguee: A resource for finding context in writing  (Read 1321 times)

Offline Tyler Hansen

• Buckbeak Poster
  • Karma Points! 2
    • View Profile
Linguee: A resource for finding context in writing
« on: March 05, 2017, 08:03:26 PM »
Have you ever come across a word or phrase in your L2 that you wanted to apply to your own vocabulary but were unsure of how to use it in the proper context? Or have you ever wondered the most natural way to express something in your L2 but had problems using an online translator or dictionary? I have fallen into these situations several times while working with Spanish and Korean. Translators and dictionaries often provide too limited of a context (or no context at all), which can lead learners to use words or phrases awkwardly in their speech as well as in their writing. Linguee is a resource that I would like to use in my classroom in order to help my students when they encounter thus issue. Students can search a word or phrase on Linguee and see it represented in context through a side by side translation of the same passage in the learner's L1 and L2. This resource is also useful for if a student wants to see the best way to communicate a word or phrase in their L2 so that it sounds natural and native-like. Linguee pulls its data from websites with multiple translations of the same information, providing ample context for any item searched along with a link to read the whole passage in either language if desired.
Students can access this resource at linguee.com, and there is also an app available on the App Store and the Google Play store. In addition to using this resource outside of class as a teacher, I feel like this website has the potential to be used for a variety of in-class activities as well.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 08:06:14 PM by Tyler Hansen »