Author Topic: practicing pronunciation through reading  (Read 1380 times)

Offline kwingo

• Buckbeak Poster
  • Karma Points! 6
    • View Profile
practicing pronunciation through reading
« on: March 05, 2015, 03:22:54 PM »
This is an activity that I created for my pronunciation class. We were working on the three sounds -ed endings: /d/, /t/, and /ed/, as well as theta and eth.
Students had to record themselves reading this paragraph aloud. It is loaded with different -ed endings and several words with theta and eth.

It's a continuous story rather than a series of disconnected sentences, like several pronunciation exercises are. The advantages to this are that students can follow a story as they read. They can also see how the small phonemes we are working on fit into a larger context. Also, reading aloud can give students reading and speaking fluency.

Offline mhenehan

• Dumbledore Poster!
  • Karma Points! 3
    • View Profile
Re: practicing pronunciation through reading
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 10:51:40 PM »
Hello!  I like this a lot in that you explicitly call it pronunciation _through_ reading, and also that you give the students a recording first and don't expect "cold" reading.  I just posted something that is sort of the other direction:  Hearing to read.  Although it is indeed a reading assignment, it entails the teacher reading a piece aloud and students thinking about the sounds before the content.  I like linking two skills.  Thanks for this, Marie
Marie Henehan