Author Topic: Reading for literate true beginners  (Read 455 times)

Offline mhenehan

• Dumbledore Poster!
  • Karma Points! 3
    • View Profile
Reading for literate true beginners
« on: May 05, 2017, 03:17:22 PM »
Reading as reinforcement for learning parts of speech
I recently presented a lesson plan to my grad class and then implemented it with a small class of true beginners.  It was on prepositions.  They were able to handle the prepositions, but it was hard to put them in full sentences.  I hadn’t grasped how hard it was to combine those two separate tasks.  After “learning” the prepositions from the book, we did an Easter egg hunt.  It took way longer than I’d thought, but it worked.  Each clue said to go to the next location, which was a place with a locative preposition.  (Look in the sink, under the table, etc.)  What I know, though, is that they will not have retained it for the next class.  So, I have made a new “activity” by revising the clues slightly and pasting them together into a “short story” for them to review everything without having to do anything new except three words:  lost, find, pick up.  They will be looking at the same locations, so the amount of new information will be minimal, and we will walk around the classroom in similar fashion.  I think that spatial learning and movement are helpful.  There are three versions of the story, as there are a “zero” beginner, beginners, and an advanced beginner/intermediate.
[/size]        Marie lost her pen.  Is it on the table?  No, it is not on the table.  Is it next to the clock-radio?  No, it is not next to the clock-radio.  Her pencil is next to the clock radio.  Is it on the microwave?  No, it is not on the microwave.  She lost the pen.  Where is the pen?  Is it on the white board?  No, the marker is on the white board.  Marie likes her pen.  She wants to find that pen.  Is it in the shower?  No, it is not in the shower.  Her book is in the shower!  Is it in the sink?  No, the pen is not in the sink.  Water is bad for a pen!   Is the pen under the trash can?  No, but there is a handout under the trash can.  Put the handout in the trash can.  Is the pen behind the white board?  No, the pen is not there, but Lidiany’s clue is there.  Is the pen below the white board?  No, but the eraser is.  Pick up the eraser.  Is the pen between the books?  No, but the spaghetti is between the books.  That is silly.  Reading as reinforcement for learning parts of speech[/font] [/size]I recently presented a lesson plan to my class and then implemented with a small class of true beginners.  It was on prepositions.  They were able to handle the prepositions, but it was hard to put them in full sentences.  I hadn’t grasped that that was two separate tasks.  After “learning” the prepositions from the book, we did an Easter egg hunt.  It took way longer than I’d thought, but it worked.  Ech clue said to go to the next location, which was a place with a locative preposition.  (Look in the sink, under the table, etc.)  What I know, though, is that they will not have retained it for the next class.  So, I have made a new “activity” by revising the clues slightly and pasting them together into a “short story” for them to review everything without having to do anything new except three words:  lost, find, pick up.  They will be looking at the same locations, so the amount of new information will be minimal, and we will walk around the classroom in similar fashion.  I think that spatial learning and movement are helpful.  There are three versions of the story, as there are a “zero” beginner, beginners, and an advanced beginner/intermediate. Marie lost her pen.  Is it on the table?  No, it is not on the table.  Is it next to the clock-radio?  No, it is not next to the clock-radio.  Her pencil is next to the clock radio.  Is it on the microwave?  No, it is not on the microwave.  She lost the pen.  Where is the pen?  Is it on the white board?  No, the marker is on the white board.  Marie likes her pen.  She wants to find that pen.  Is it in the shower?  No, it is not in the shower.  Her book is in the shower!  Is it in the sink?  No, the pen is not in the sink.  Water is bad for a pen!   Is the pen under the trash can?  No, but there is a handout under the trash can.  Put the handout in the trash can.  Is the pen behind the white board?  No, the pen is not there, but Lidiany’s clue is there.  Is the pen below the white board?  No, but the eraser is.  Pick up the eraser.  Is the pen between the books?  No, but the spaghetti is between the books.  That is silly.  Marie lost her pen.  Is it [/font][/size]on[/size] the table?  No, it is not [/size]on[/size] the table.  Is it [/size]next to[/size] the clock-radio?  No, it is not [/size]next to[/size] the clock-radio.  Her pencil is [/size]next to[/size] the clock radio.  Is it [/size]on[/size] the microwave?  No, it is not [/size]on[/size] the microwave.  She lost the pen.  Is it [/size]in[/size] the shower?  No, it is not [/size]in[/size] the shower.  Her book is [/size]in[/size] the shower!  Is it [/size]in[/size] the sink?  No, the pen is not [/size]in[/size] the sink.  Water is bad for a pen!   Is the pen [/size]under[/size] the trash can?  No, but there is a handout [/size]under[/size] the trash can.  Put the handout [/size]in[/size] the trash can.  Is the pen [/size]behind[/size] the white board?  No, the pen is not there.[/size]  [/size]Is the pen [/size]between[/size] the books?  No, but the spaghetti is [/size]between[/size] the books.  Is the pen [/size]in front of[/size] the cabinet?  No, the markers are [/size]in front of[/size] the cabinet.  Put the markers away.  Is Marie’s pen [/size]above [/size]our heads?  Yes it is.  Look for the pen.

[/size]          Marie lost her pen.  Is it on the table?  No, it is not on the table.  Is it on the microwave?  No, it is not on the microwave.  Is it in the shower?  No, it is not in the shower.  Her book is in the shower!  Is the pen under the trash can?  No, but there is a handout under the trash can.  Put the handout in the trash can.  Is the pen behind the white board?  No, the pen is not there.  Is Marie’s pen above our heads?  Yes it is.  Look for the pen. 
[/font][/size]        I will find out in about 45 minutes whether this will work![/font]
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 03:21:37 PM by mhenehan »
Marie Henehan