Author Topic: Make them be part of the decisions!  (Read 317 times)

Offline carolinaptc

• Buckbeak Poster
  • Karma Points! 0
    • View Profile
Make them be part of the decisions!
« on: April 24, 2018, 11:54:51 AM »
 :) :) How many times have we heard students complaining about their assignments? I cannot really think of a number right now, but I would say A LOT!
This lack of motivation happening in the classroom is a general and universal problem and it usually enhances when we ask our students to do tasks like reading and writing. Even though these are two different skills (productive and receptive), both are strongly related and it is our job to make sure our students are feeling willing enough to go for the activities we plan. But, how do we do this?
One fundamental element to think about when planning our lessons and activities in reading and writing, is motivation! Nobody really wants to work in something that is "boring" or too long right? So, let's talk about some ideas on how can you give your students the responsibility to choose the activities, assessments and others to reach inner motivation.

1) Make them build their own evaluation RUBRICS: Students can gather in groups and decide which criteria should be included in the rubric for a specific writing/reading assignment and then choose how many points is worth it. Of course, this must be a "guided" activity and some previous teaching should be included so they know what a rubric is.

2) Make them choose the supplemental readings for the class: We all know there are plenty of readings that teachers are "forced" to give to their students but there is still some room in the curriculum to include some supplemental readings. This is a good time to help them investigate and choose which kinds of articles/books may be useful for the course in specific topics.

3) Vary the topics: Make sure you are updated regarding your students' concerns and things they like. We all know there are topics that must be covered but it is always important to try to make the connection with what they already KNOW about this and some other examples from THEIR REAL LIFE. They can also choose some of the topics, this is going to help them feel more engaged with the future assignments.

4) Always give space for discussion: Listen to your students and take into account what they are saying. Sometimes students have amazing ideas about activities or topics to be discussed from a reading but we tend to "ignore" them. We are all learning in the classroom and there is no better feeling fro our students to realize that the classroom is a safe, tolerant and open space for discussion.

Offline jrchia2

• Buckbeak Poster
  • Karma Points! 0
    • View Profile
Re: Make them be part of the decisions!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 04:21:40 PM »
I really like your idea about making students part of their own evaluation rubrics. I think that helps develop students' critical thinking into what is needed to improve and evaluate their writing.