Author Topic: Assessment can be fun, if you want to!  (Read 133 times)

Offline carolinaptc

• Buckbeak Poster
  • Karma Points! 0
    • View Profile
Assessment can be fun, if you want to!
« on: May 01, 2018, 09:14:11 PM »
So....let's face it, not many teacher enjoy assessing reading because it can be a real stressful task if done as our old teachers did in the past. But, as we all know, there are also fun ways to assess your students' progress in reading. Creating "fun" activities can be very demanding and sometimes we just don't have the time or our brains are not very creative because of the work load. Hence, I was surfing the net to try to find a page with some fun ideas we could use in the classroom to assess reading and I found two super cool and useful sites. If you are feeling tired of trying to CREATE something, you can always check these sites and adapt the activities/examples they are offering, which is also valuable because you are putting your own "magic" in the activities.

1) I love this first site because lots of the activities for assessment mentioned here are CURRENT and super fun for students. For example, the twitter board activity could be an excellent idea because students are already familiarized with social media. All the others activities they are mentioning in this site may be implemented for any kind of reading and group of students, it is just a matter of expanding/modifying a little bit.

https://globaldigitalcitizen.org/15-assessment-activities-fast-formative

2) Formative assessment is always a good way to check our students' learning process (reading comprehension in this case). Check our these 10 cool ways of doing so with less effort than building a WHOLE test that will probably have a different impact in the learners.

https://www.edutopia.org/discussion/10-fun-filled-formative-assessment-ideas

Test are also permitted but it is good to vary sometimes so students feel more engaged!
 :redstar :redstar :redstar :redstar :redstar :redstar
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 09:14:37 PM by carolinaptc »