Author Topic: Songs and Storytelling  (Read 1441 times)

Offline jrchia2

• Buckbeak Poster
  • Karma Points! 0
    • View Profile
Songs and Storytelling
« on: May 08, 2018, 01:46:08 PM »
For those who are interested in using songs and storytelling in TESL, I found a cool idea from BBC's Teaching English (link below). This activity combines group work and speaking skills. However, it can be adapted for building reading and writing skills.

The modified procedure is as such, which I have further adapted for reading and writing:

1. Select 4 genres of music (e.g. rock, country, pop, alternative)
2. Divide students into groups of 4.
3. Ask them to make a cross on it diving the paper into 4 equal parts. Number each part from 1 to 4.
4. Have each student take one number and one music genre. For example, John takes section of paper labeled "1" and the genre "Rock Music"
5. Play the song for the first genre (e.g. rock)
6. Distribute lyrics.
7. Students read through the lyrics and underline any vocabulary words they are unfamiliar with. Give them time to look up the words and ask questions. = READING
8. Play the song again, this time letting the student listen to song and read lyrics at same time.
9. On the sheet of paper, the student draws something on it according to what he/she feels or is inspired by the song and its lyrics.
10. Repeat Steps 5-9 for all other students and music genres.
11. Students should now have a sheet of paper with 4 drawings, each drawing by a different student. Now ask students work together to make up a story following the sequence of their drawings. Have them write it up. = WRITING and GROUP WORK

12. Have them present their story to the class = SPEAKING

I like this activity because it is versatile and can be adapted for students of different levels. It also has a number of objectives, the most important which are developing reading, writing, and speaking skills.

Source: https://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/article/songs-storytelling.