Author Topic: Learning English Through Sharing Life Experiences  (Read 336 times)

Offline pskim4

• Buckbeak Poster
  • Karma Points! 0
    • View Profile
Learning English Through Sharing Life Experiences
« on: May 13, 2018, 05:28:45 PM »
This is an activity that I have seen work well personally. This would only work well in a situation where I am personally close to the English learner, however that also makes this very effective.

Inviting someone into an American home and sharing a meal with them is a great way to show them American life as well as learn the language. I once invited a friend who was an international student to my home for Thanksgiving dinner and she shared with me on how valuable and unique the experience was for her personally but also as someone learning English. She was able to experience an actual American home as well as a quintessential meal like Thanksgiving. She learned about my family members through life stories they shared with her and she was able to share about her life to them too as they asked her questions. This running conversation was a way for her to practice speaking in an unstructured but vital way that she had not had the chance to do before. She said it was like doing what she learned in the movies with what she also learned in her classes. It was natural and fluid.

Although this was something done in my home, I wonder if there is a way to replicate such an authentic experience in the classroom setting or even if out of the class, a way to teach this without having to rely on a family to teach each individual.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 05:29:03 PM by pskim4 »