Author Topic: Benefits of Face-to-Face conference  (Read 34 times)

Offline yuf2

• Fluffy Poster
  • Karma Points! 0
    • View Profile
Benefits of Face-to-Face conference
« on: March 03, 2019, 09:40:15 AM »
From my own experiences as a L2 writer, I have received many writing feedback and I found teachers’ feedback is extremely beneficial for my improvement and L2 test preparation. One of the most helpful type of feedback would be face-to-face writing conference, especially for L2 writers. In my freshman year, since I was newly exposed to the academic writing and college life, I was overwhelmed and unconfident. So, for my writing course assignments, I scheduled face-to-face meetings to get feedback to keep up with my classmates and ensure that I was on the right track. During our meetings, the instructor provided me with suggestions on inappropriate vocabulary use, essay structure, how to paraphrase and cite sources effectively. Although this type of feedback may be demanding and time-consuming, it benefits learners in many aspects and in a broader sense.
First of all, often times, L2 learners may not even be able to read teacher’s handwritten feedbacks on their draft. Or they might struggle with interpreting teacher’s response correctly when a few sentence or words on the draft may not make sense to them. In this sense, conference seems like more direct and more efficient for learners to receive feedback.
Moreover, other types of oral corrective feedbacks can be provided and thus benefit learners in the meantime. For L2 learners, recasts and metalinguistic feedback is likely to occur when talking with the instructor about generating ideas, linguistic features, grammatical errors.
In addition, during face-to-face conferences, students may use negotiation of meaning in discourse. They will not only advance writing strategies and gain writing feedbacks to improve their linguistic competence, but will be encouraged to elicit more oral productions as well.

Negotiation of Meaning
Instances in conversation in when participants need to interrupt the flow of conversation in order for both parties to understand what the conversation is about

Techniques:
Backchannel cues (head knods, ‘uh huh’, ‘right’)
Repetitions
Comprehension checks: “Do you know Nagasaki?”
Confirmation checks: “When can you visit?—Visit?”
Clarification requests: “I don’t know this word.”
Questions with answers/choices provided: “Do you want to have dinner on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday…?”
Topic shifts