Author Topic: Grammarly  (Read 174 times)

Offline svsnkrn2

• Buckbeak Poster
  • Karma Points! 0
    • View Profile
Grammarly
« on: March 15, 2019, 03:12:42 PM »
Students often struggle with how to use target grammar while learning an L2. With a big paper, it can be intimidating to write. With the resource of Grammarly, a free resource online, they can input what they have written and self-check their grammar points. It is important for students to try to identify their own mistakes, but while learning an L2 it can be difficult without outside help, whether that be a teacher or another source. An activity is necessary to make sure students actually learn the grammar points and don't take advantage of this website.

Activity:
Turn a rough draft in without using this resource, after it is turned in, input the paper into the resource and make changes. Finish a self-edit handout and attach it at the end of the final draft.

Grammarly: https://www.grammarly.com

Ferris, D. R., & Hedgcock, J. S. (2014). Teaching L2 Composition: Purpose, Process, and
Practice (3rd ed.). Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 03:13:48 PM by svsnkrn2 »

Offline mrcheald

• Norbert Poster
  • Karma Points! 0
    • View Profile
Re: Grammarly
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 09:13:14 AM »
When I was teaching in the ESL service courses I had students who used this resource and it seems to do a good job catching mistakes. My only concern is that students don't use it in a way that helps them internalize the mistakes that they are making and then make efforts to improve in the future.
I think that a way to improve your activity would be to have the students make a log of the different types of errors that they are making. This log could be shared with the teacher as a Google Sheet or turned in by hand. Then the student and the teacher would be able to see the types of errors that the student is consistently making. It would be a lot of work for the student, but, if they had to log "subject verb agreement" along with the verb 6 times it might help them focus their efforts on that area more.
What do you think about that idea?

Offline svsnkrn2

• Buckbeak Poster
  • Karma Points! 0
    • View Profile
Re: Grammarly
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 11:08:59 PM »
Hi! Thanks for the feedback! I think that activity would help benefit the learners a lot. I think it would be a lot of work so it would suit the advanced learners more. I really like the idea as you can see exactly what mistakes are consistent so in the long-term it would be more helpful.